Riding Mower Stops Driving

Hikeditandlikedit

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Scott's riding mower I recently bought used from an older couple on Facebook. When I go to drive the mower, it will not go in reverse. When moving forward, it is very sluggish and after driving it for a few minutes it will no longer drive in forward either. It seems it does this once everything gets warmed up as when it was colder outside I was able to drive it longer. I have replaced the drive belt and replaced a seized pulley. I am not able to tell for sure but it seems like the drive belt starts slipping from the pulley that is on top of the gear box. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! The model # is 46562X8.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
037X61MA Belt Motion Drive Lt S (replaces 710531)
Size 1/2" x 95"
Belt Type: Wrapped Clutching
Replaces Murray # 037X61MA

Did you get the correct belt?

Pumper54

Threads
Are you hearing a squealing sound and smelling burnt rubber when this happens? Might be the wrong belt and it is slipping.
Tom

Hikeditandlikedit

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you hearing a squealing sound and smelling burnt rubber when this happens? Might be the wrong belt and it is slipping.
Tom

I went to an automotive parts store locally that sells mower parts as well and they matched up the belt for me. It seems to be the sameness belt but it is green rather than the brown that the old belt was. I have not smelled anything that is burning but I do hear the occasional squeal.

Pumper54

Threads
Can you jack the rear end of the mower up so that you can try to turn the drive belt by hand? Try turning it with the transmission in gear and out of gear to see if there is a major difference (as long as the tranny is not a hydro) out of gear it should be much easier to turn then in gear and you should one or both rear wheels turning when the tranny is in gear. Also model number and pictures would help a lot to identify the mower we are talking about.
Tom

Hikeditandlikedit

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can you jack the rear end of the mower up so that you can try to turn the drive belt by hand? Try turning it with the transmission in gear and out of gear to see if there is a major difference (as long as the tranny is not a hydro) out of gear it should be much easier to turn then in gear and you should one or both rear wheels turning when the tranny is in gear. Also model number and pictures would help a lot to identify the mower we are talking about.
Tom

It's a hydro. I have the model number at the end of the original post above. Currently out of town but I'll try to post some pics in a few days once I'm back.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Tom

Scotts/Murray Model number 46562X8

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The belt you need is wrapped. If it is not wrapped it will not work.
Drive Belt 1/2" width, 95" length, wrapped belt

Pumper54

Threads
Chuck,
Guess I should read the post again before posting the "What model is it" question. OOPS right in the first post. :redface:
Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The belt you need is wrapped. If it is not wrapped it will not work.
Drive Belt 1/2" width, 95" length, wrapped belt

A green belt from an auto store will be a Gates Garden Power belt and will be better quality than most of the aftermarket ones from mower shops.
Gates are OEM for Deere just wrapped in a different colour pollyester