Trans Cross brace broke. Anyone else?

L454S

Threads
"Subscribed"....wants to follow the thread

mhavanti

Threads

Thanks and there you go Ronno, asked and answered.

Max

mhavanti

Threads
Ron,

We ain't too old to learn something new. Not that I'll be able to absorb it. lol

Max

bradmc

Threads
I was doing the 200 hour maintenance on mine when I noticed the cross brace broken on the left side. Both mounts were broken. Talked to my dealer this morning and luckily they had one in stock. They've been noticing a higher demand for these, so they like to keep one or two in stock since wait time has been up to 6 weeks at times. They let me pick it up and install myself so I picked it up today and installed this evening. It was mentioned earlier, but wow the plate is much thicker on the new version.

2017-09-18 16.39.44.jpg

2017-09-18 16.40.09.jpg

The shanks on the new provided bolts are shorter than I'd like to see:
2017-09-18 16.48.08.jpg

That old plate looked to be a good start on a custom winch mount plate that I needed to build for my ATV, so it was "re-purposed".:biggrin:
2017-09-18 19.06.37.jpg

2017-09-18 20.36.34.jpg

2017-09-18 21.01.08.jpg

2017-09-18 21.01.17.jpg

Better than throwing it in the trash.

Kremeneon

Threads
I have noticed a VAST improvement in chassis stiffness after replacing the brace. I used to be able to feel the frame twist though my feet when on uneven terrain. Now i don't feel that and it will alternately lift the front wheels.

turboawd

Threads
I have noticed a VAST improvement in chassis stiffness after replacing the brace. I used to be able to feel the frame twist though my feet when on uneven terrain. Now i don't feel that and it will alternately lift the front wheels.

i think thats why the bracket breaks, the frame flexes too much. its one of the cost cutting measures to make a cheaper mower.

Kremeneon

Threads
i think thats why the bracket breaks, the frame flexes too much. its one of the cost cutting measures to make a cheaper mower.

The frame by itself is just a ladder rack, there isn't a whole lot of triangulation that can be done to make it stiff besides seam welding it. I think the demonstration of improvement shows how structurally integral the transmissions are to the machine, and that the part was so underdesigned on the first go around, it is far more than a spacer.

turboawd

Threads
The frame by itself is just a ladder rack, there isn't a whole lot of triangulation that can be done to make it stiff besides seam welding it. I think the demonstration of improvement shows how structurally integral the transmissions are to the machine, and that the part was so underdesigned on the first go around, it is far more than a spacer.

the raptor sd has a c channel frame. check out the higher end mowers that have tubular frames. they are way stiffer. the mower should not rely on the trans and a bracket for stiffness. the frame should be stiff.