Trans Cross brace broke. Anyone else?

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
No applause, just throw $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Kremeneon

Threads
HUSTLER 120838 - GUARD, RAPTOR CLUTCH

Excellent, I've got one on order. $15.65 delivered. does it just sandwich under the trans bolts there?

I suggest you get a heat shield for the muffler, they are fantastic. I have not scorched a single piece of grass since installing it and they DO NOT collect clippings and catch fire (I do check it though before putting the mower away).

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
The guard mounts under the transmissions.
It is recommended that you get longer mounting bolts, 5/16 x 3 1/4" long, Grade 8
but make SURE that you have at least 2 1/4" of shoulder.
This will assure that all shear points are on the unthreaded shoulder rather than the threads themselves.
This will eliminate the fracturing of the bolts thru the smaller diameter threaded section.

Kremeneon

Threads
The guard mounts under the transmissions.
It is recommended that you get longer mounting bolts, 5/16 x 3 1/4" long, Grade 8
but make SURE that you have at least 2 1/4" of shoulder.
This will assure that all shear points are on the unthreaded shoulder rather than the threads themselves.
This will eliminate the fracturing of the bolts thru the smaller diameter threaded section.

:thumbsup:

mhavanti

Threads
This was a bit harder to get laying on the concrete with the mower not on a jack. The clutch cover is basically a piece of angle iron. Raptor Clutch Cover - Hydro Brace from bottom.jpg

Kremeneon

Threads
This was a bit harder to get laying on the concrete with the mower not on a jack. The clutch cover is basically a piece of angle iron. View attachment 37247

What is the anti-rattle shim you have on the clutch anchor there? everything I've tried ends up being pounded to pieces. I ended up having my neighbor put a big bead of weld on the anchor and I buffed it down until I got a nice .020 or so fit.

mhavanti

Threads
That's a piece of tool steel that has been beat into submission in order to place it over the clutch mount. More it gets hammered by the clutch, harder it becomes. A2 is good stuff.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Where is the A2 part?
Is that a wear point I should be concerned abut?

mhavanti

Threads
Nah, not a bit of worry considering folks were speaking to rattles in their clutch due to the small amount of space between the notch on the clutch and the bracket. That is in there for a purpose to keep the clutch from binding up during hard starts belt being bound up due to a foreign object getting hung up between pulleys and belt.

I just thought there should be a way to either confirm or debunk the rumors. Rumors debunked.

Run the hell out of that SD54 until you break it, then fix it. Don't hold your breath that you'll break it anytime soon. lol

Max

EDL

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, it's always amazing to find out about "known" issues AFTER something breaks. Sigh.

Was mowing with my Raptor SD yesterday and was rolling along and suddenly *THUNK* and it came to a screeching halt. WTF? Shut her down and walked to the back and, oh, the drive belt is sticking out the back. As I was looking to see how to get it back on, I noticed the right rear wheel was cocked at an odd angle...now WTF? I looked between the front of the rear wheel and the bottom of the plastic fender, oh, the bolt that holds the front of the hydro motor was snapped. I ran to the hardware store and got a couple of grade 8 bolts and lock nuts with the idea of replacing both of them. After hauling my mower lift and tools to the mower (of course it breaks at the furthest possible point from my garage), I lift the front end up, but still can't get to it easily. Back to garage, put the 4-ton jack on a dolly to wheel it down there, jack the rear up and what's this? The web on the cross brace is snapped off at the fastener at the right rear location. Grrrr.

I come back to the house and after a couple minutes of searching, I find this thread. I then find that the "new and improved" brace is $132. I fired off a nastygram to Hustler that this should be a recall (of course my mower is out of warranty by about 6 months, but I only have 115 hours on it). Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll send me one at no cost. If not, this will be the last Hustler I buy.

So, now I have to recover this beast and get it back to the garage. I do have a 6x8 trailer, but no winch, so off to Horror Fright to get a come-along and a strap. While there I also picked up a trailer dolly (which I've been meaning to get to make getting my trailer into and out of the barn easier), so $115 later, the wife and I manage to get it winched onto the trailer and back in the garage. The wife, bless her heart, spent the time I was futzing aorund trying to fix the GD thing using the push mower to keep mowing. We spent today mowing the remaining 3 acres or so with the f%#$*!# push mower.

I've inspected the mower every time I use it and I ypically check nuts and bolts 2-3 times throughout the mowing season. Last checks, nothing was loose. I suspect the brace may have had cracks that I didn't notice though. Still, I think Hustler should be replacing these braces for all SD owners, that's just ridiculous.