Trans Cross brace broke. Anyone else?

turboawd

Threads
those welds aren't going to break. when you see in person, you'll see what i mean.

also, the dealer gave me the bracket for free since there is a service bulletin out on this issue.
i told him i'd prefer to install it myself. he had no problem with that. the kit came with grade 5 bolts. i bought grade 8 instead.

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's a serious brace !! :thumbsup:

This thread got me to check mine on my Toro after I mowed & was under cleaning the deck. Ok here.

akcooper9

Threads
Thanks for the pictures and the part number. Do you have a copy of the service bulletin by chance?

Pumper54

Threads
I know nothing what so ever about zero turns but looking at the pictures I am wondering why there is no cross bracing on the rear of the transmissions like there is at the from? Not sure how the transmissions are mounted to the frame but it seems that they are bolted in two places, front and rear with the brace at the front. Is this correct? Just trying to learn something.
Tom

akcooper9

Threads
I know nothing what so ever about zero turns but looking at the pictures I am wondering why there is no cross bracing on the rear of the transmissions like there is at the from? Not sure how the transmissions are mounted to the frame but it seems that they are bolted in two places, front and rear with the brace at the front. Is this correct? Just trying to learn something.
Tom

They are bolted just as you see in the pictures. No Brace in the back per say but I dont see the need for one either.

Kremeneon

Threads
those welds aren't going to break. when you see in person, you'll see what i mean.

also, the dealer gave me the bracket for free since there is a service bulletin out on this issue.
i told him i'd prefer to install it myself. he had no problem with that. the kit came with grade 5 bolts. i bought grade 8 instead.

good to know. I called my dealer this morning, they replaced the brace in August with what they thought at the time was a 'new design' but it clearly isn't the one you are showing. They took my info and said they would look around themselves and call hustler about getting the new version into my hands since I'm 25 days out of warranty ( 3 years, but only 108 hours on it). I checked last night and my under 1 year old brace already has some stress cracks at the tabs.

akcooper9

Threads
good to know. I called my dealer this morning, they replaced the brace in August with what they thought at the time was a 'new design' but it clearly isn't the one you are showing. They took my info and said they would look around themselves and call hustler about getting the new version into my hands since I'm 25 days out of warranty ( 3 years, but only 108 hours on it). I checked last night and my under 1 year old brace already has some stress cracks at the tabs.

Lets hope Hustler takes care of you. My bolts broke and the brace dipped down and bent. I noticed it Monday. Saw this post this morning and have already called the dealer with the issue and upgraded part number. They have a new bracket on order!

This is why I bought from a dealer and not a box store :smile:

akcooper9

Threads
The upgraded cross brace has not come in yet and I need to mow so I pulled the stock brace off to fix it. It had some cracks in the factory welds that I was able to re-weld. I also had to bend it back into shape so I could re install. The whole R&R was a PITA but Im back in business and ready to mow this afternoon. Having everything bolted tight has re-aligned the rear wheels.

For me, this has been a 'minor' issue and all in all, I'm very happy with my SD54 purchase :thumbsup:

Last edited:

577jersey

Threads
OMG that poor Hustler,looks like you are putting it through the ringer..lol :)

My factory brace looks pretty beefy,i just kept it tight and have had zero issues so far..175 hours and big slopes at 185 pounds of meat..lol