Engine Won't Start After Compression Test

MonkeyCam

Threads
Definitely something odd there. I may of missed it but what was the compression reading that you took. And if possible recheck it and see it it changed. I am wondering if something was going on at the end of your last mowing session, and is now come to light.

I did another compression test tonight, & I got about the same reading I was getting earlier. Before it was approx. 105, & tonight it was closer to 110.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
This whole things seems odd. I don't know if it has been checked but have you inspected the flywheel key. I don't know why it would be sheared, but with everything being checked that is about the only thing we possibly could of missed.

MonkeyCam

Threads
This whole things seems odd. I don't know if it has been checked but have you inspected the flywheel key. I don't know why it would be sheared, but with everything being checked that is about the only thing we possibly could of missed.

I haven't checked the flywheel key, but I'm the only one who uses the mower, & I haven't hit anything w/ the blade that would have caused a sheared key. And at this point I've about reached the end of my patience. I'm demoralized & disgusted, & by now I'd rather beat the thing to pieces w/ a sledgehammer than take it apart enough to have a look at the flywheel key.

I don't know whether to take this mower to the repair shop, buy a replacement engine, or just get a whole new mower. I want to scream. :mad::frown:

MonkeyCam

Threads
After having 24 hrs. to cool off, I went ahead & removed the blower housing & cup to take a look at the flywheel key just for the hell of it. It looked fine. I've attached a pic.

Attachments

• 20170516_204806.jpg
    20170516_204806.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 14

MonkeyCam

Threads
Could the problem be a faulty ignition coil? I'm getting a spark, but could it be that it's too weak of a spark? That's about the only thing I can think of at this point, & I found a guy on YouTube who says that these Kohler XT series engines have a tendency for the coils to go bad. www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvAE78iFdl8

TobyU

Threads
I would try a new plug. If you dropped it or even pressed a little hard sideways on the insulator when removing and installing it it could be cracked or damaged.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
After having 24 hrs. to cool off, I went ahead & removed the blower housing & cup to take a look at the flywheel key just for the hell of it. It looked fine. I've attached a pic.

That is not the flywheel key.
That is the PTO drive key.
The flywheel is on the top of the engine and has the magnets that generate the spark in it.

MonkeyCam

Threads
That is not the flywheel key.
That is the PTO drive key.
The flywheel is on the top of the engine and has the magnets that generate the spark in it.

The gray spoked wheel is definitely the flywheel, so I'm 99.9% sure that's the flywheel key in the picture above.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The gray spoked wheel is definitely the flywheel, so I'm 99.9% sure that's the flywheel key in the picture above.

Well as you obvious;y know more than this full time mower mechanic I can be of no further assistance good luck & good bye

MonkeyCam

Threads
Well as you obvious;y know more than this full time mower mechanic I can be of no further assistance good luck & good bye

You get your feelings hurt *that* easily??? Wow. :laughing: