Snapper Repower Wiring Problem

JoeCool

Threads
I got the starter from the 8 HP hooked up now and it's working good. If I put gas in the carb, it fires right up and the starter stops turning. The starter I took off must have been bad. Now, I just need to hook up the carb solenoid, like you said. Any ideas?

txzrider2

Threads
my carb solenoid has a gray wire that has 12volts when the key is turned on. The other wire is ground.(I think)

mattm55

Threads
my carb solenoid has a gray wire that has 12volts when the key is turned on. The other wire is ground.(I think)

Although mine does not have this feature, a feature I heard has issues, this wiring is correct. 12v on one wire when key is in start or on and a ground for the other wire. This is supposed to prevent fuel leaking in the non-run position. It can get stuck, dirty and not work.

Matt

JoeCool

Threads
I've seen people cut the pin off the solenoid and use a fuel cutoff in the fuel line. Would that be okay?

txzrider2

Threads
I have heard of this as well... however it is easy to make it work, run a hot wire from the key to one of the pins and the other is ground. you will hear a click when it is enabled, as long as it goes through the keyswitch, it is only on when the key is on. FYI I still put an inline fuel cutoff due to the above mentioned problem where it does not cut off the fuel.

cashman

Threads
The reason for the fuel shut off solenoid is to help reduce an after-boom situation on some applications, in the muffler when the engine is turned off. After the ignition switch is turned off and the engine coasts down to a stop, without the fuel solenoid, raw fuel is still forced through the venturi of the carburetor and ultimately into the muffler where heat from the muffler will cause the raw fuel to explode creating an after-boom. It doesn't shut off fuel between the tank and carburetor. Just between the bowl of carburetor and the venturi. Although having a shut off between the tank and carburetor is still a good idea. If you can locate the wire harness under the shroud that feeds the fuel shut off solenoid, if nothing else, just put a switch between the wire harness and any good source of 12v and be sure to turn it off when not in use. I would try to run it through the wire harness under the shroud because there is probably a diode in that harness that would prevent the reverse flow of 12v that could back feed any other circuits. And be sure to have an inline (30 amp) fuse between the battery and the "B" terminal of the ignition switch and any circuits that are fed 12V as this will protect them from a short and possibly causing a fire.

mattm55

Threads
The reason for the fuel shut off solenoid is to help reduce an after-boom situation on some applications, in the muffler when the engine is turned off. After the ignition switch is turned off and the engine coasts down to a stop, without the fuel solenoid, raw fuel is still forced through the venturi of the carburetor and ultimately into the muffler where heat from the muffler will cause the raw fuel to explode creating an after-boom. It doesn't shut off fuel between the tank and carburetor. Just between the bowl of carburetor and the venturi. Although having a shut off between the tank and carburetor is still a good idea. If you can locate the wire harness under the shroud that feeds the fuel shut off solenoid, if nothing else, just put a switch between the wire harness and any good source of 12v and be sure to turn it off when not in use. I would try to run it through the wire harness under the shroud because there is probably a diode in that harness that would prevent the reverse flow of 12v that could back feed any other circuits. And be sure to have an inline (30 amp) fuse between the battery and the "B" terminal of the ignition switch and any circuits that are fed 12V as this will protect them from a short and possibly causing a fire.

Thanks for that info. I learned something today. It makes sense. I like to spool the engine down and then do a shutoff.
Matt

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for that info. I learned something today. It makes sense. I like to spool the engine down and then do a shutoff.
Matt

The carb on my old 2140 Cub Cadet doesn't have a fuel cut-off solenoid. I, too, idle the engine as slow as it will go; then I engage the mower deck and very quickly turn off the key when the engine rpm drops even lower.