LX 176 misfire/sputter

Greyboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an LX 176 I bought new in 92. Been a good mower. It runs perfect when 1st started until it reaches a certain temp. I've noticed the higher the ambient temp is the worse it is. It has a sputter with a slight amount of smoke. This is what I have done thus far in this order: 1. replaced spark plug 2. removed and cleaned carburetor and installed new fuel filter 3. replaced ignition coil 4. replaced fuel pump. All parts used are genuine JD. Seems to me it would be electric related since it doesn't start until it gets hot enough. I felt confident it was the coil after researching the problem. Long before this problem arose, maybe one of 3-4 times turning the key to crank engine it will do nothing. Turn key back and try again until it turns over. Thought this may be neutral switch located on top of transmission so I bypassed it and it made no difference. Maybe it is the ignition switch ? Anyway, my thinking is this wouldn't be related to my misfire/sputtering issue because once it is running that part of the switch is bypassed. I have some basic mechanic skills but less electronic skills. I do what I can myself on my fixed income. Any ideas where I should go next ? Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me you have a heat related intermitted short occurring. What do I mean by this? Some where in your ignition circuit a wire is shorting to ground as it heats up. Now here is the real problem. Trying to find and solve this problem is not easy, even for an experienced mechanic. It could be a wire that is rubbing against a hot engine surface. It could be a coil which is starting to thermally breakdown. Could be a connection which is expanding, due to heat, and coming loose. Even plugs and switches can cause it. Trying to explain how to trouble shoot this is nearly impossible as I don't even know which engine we're dealing with. Post back with the engine and tractor model and serial numbers, and we might be able to give you a few things to try, if you feel you have enough electrical experience.

Greyboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds to me you have a heat related intermitted short occurring. What do I mean by this? Some where in your ignition circuit a wire is shorting to ground as it heats up. Now here is the real problem. Trying to find and solve this problem is not easy, even for an experienced mechanic. It could be a wire that is rubbing against a hot engine surface. It could be a coil which is starting to thermally breakdown. Could be a connection which is expanding, due to heat, and coming loose. Even plugs and switches can cause it. Trying to explain how to trouble shoot this is nearly impossible as I don't even know which engine we're dealing with. Post back with the engine and tractor model and serial numbers, and we might be able to give you a few things to try, if you feel you have enough electrical experience.

JD LX176 model code: 176X053746 .... Engine 14 HP Kawasaki code: FC420V-AS10