Need help with fixing old Tecumseh engine.

oldpops

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All. New to forum but glad to be here! Anyway, for reason's to long to get into, I have to get an OLD Sears Craftsman Wood Shredder / bagger (model # 2 ? 2 - 27006) that has apparently has a Tecumseh 6 HP L-Head engine. From help I received from others, and research on the internet, I am thinking the Tecumseh engine is model # V60-70257H??? If I am wrong I will defer to those here who know much more about these things. Anyway, I believe the carburetor is an old diaphragm type instead of a more recent bowl/float type. Again, please feel to correct or advise if I am off track. I didn't get any history at all on the shredder but since the fuel tank looks dry, I am assuming it hasn't run in a while. Therefore, I want to clean out the tank and carburetor of all the old gas and gunk (perhaps replace the condenser, old hoses, ect), as well as replace the oil and the spark plug. I can't find any manual for this unit so if anyone has one, or knows of one, that would be great! I could really use some help with getting this thing running. I can pull the starter rope and the shredder blade turns so I know the engine isn't seized. So I am hoping someone can offer some suggestions and sources to help me get this old motor working. I guess first off, is there a rebuild kit for this carburetor? Or is it possible to swap it out with a newer bowl/float type? Does anyone know the Oil type and amount this motor takes? The spark plug in it has no markings I can see. Does anyone know which one to get? Any suggestions on how to clean out the gas tank? Let me say in advance: Thanks for all assistance and advise! 20170508_164147.jpg20170508_171003.jpgSears 6 hp Shredder Bagger.jpgShredder model number.jpgShredder motor info.jpg

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove tank and wash it with clean fuel, if its gone bad you may need a tank sealer, change the oil, give it a good clean, before replacing anything see if you a good spark.

Spark J-8/J12J/L7J Champion B2-LM/B6HS NGK
Oil SAE10W30

Attachments

• Tecumseh-Engine-Parts-Manual-V60-70257H.pdf
    78.9 KB · Views: 28

oldpops

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks EngineMan! I found a a number on the metal plate which was hard to read with my old eyes so once I got the sunlight just right, was able to see what i think is the engine model number. I am not sure about one of the numbers because it is not engraved as deeply as the other numbers on the metal piece. Anyway, it is either: "143-236082" or "143-286082", The number 143-236082 checks with this motor being a model V60-70257H engine. The other number (143-286082) seems to match up to a VM 080 engine, according to some Craftsman/Tecumseh cross reference I found on the internet. I am inclined to think the one I have is the V60 and not the VM 080 because the VM 080 picture appears to show a carburetor with a bowl and float design, where as the V60 is a diaphragm carburetor. I would like to know if there is a good way to identify the carburetor so I can be sure what rebuild kit to order. Do you happen to know a way I can confirm which model engine, and which model carburetor I have?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Tecumseh normally have a number stamped into the mounting flange of the carb. That number can be converted to a carb part number to look up parts and tell what engines is was used on.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
This may help you

Attachments

• TECUMSEH-CARBURETOR-TROUBLESHOOTING-AND-IDENTIFICATION-GUIDE.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 19

Telesis

Threads
If you look at page 7 of the Parts Manual EngineMan provided(right side middle of page), you can see the diaphragm carb option (240A). [the bowl carb option is shown in the main diagram on page 1, item 240]

Items 238 and 239 shown on page 7 are what you need to rebuild it. Look at page 8 to get the part nos. for 238 and 239. Those are both readily available and inexpensive. The carb is not complicated to 'rebuild'. Chances are very good the diaphragm is 'hard as a rock' by now and merely replacing that would get you going. However, you might as well do the inlet assembly too since there are two non-metal parts there.

oldpops

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Telesis. Your eyes are much better than mine for sure! I can now see item #240 on page #1 of parts manual (provided by EngineMan- THANK you again!) and I know from looking at the engine I have, that is the carburetor. To be honest though, I couldn't tell what type of carburetor it is. I think I can see the little float bowl on the bottom of item # 240 so I know that is different than the diaphragm carburetor that I have on my motor, especially when I compare it to the carburetor pictured on page 7 of the parts manual. After looking at the diaphragm on the bottom of the carburetor, it is hard a s a rock, so I think you are right about changing it to get the old girl running. Just to be sure I have the right parts, is the following jacks parts what you are talking about: For the diapragm: https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/jacks/jse2672443?gclid=cii64ubl9nmcfyrmfgodo1kpgg , and for the inlet assembly, are you talking about: https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...s/jse2672467?gclid=cllak9pm9nmcfvkpfgoddxgphw ?

Sorry for the links but I want to make sure I am getting the correct parts. Incidentally, aside from changing out the carburetor parts, is there a good way to clean the carburetor before rebuilding it?

Thank you all again for your help and assistance!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
That looks to be the right one, clean out the carburetor with any good carb cleaner. if you search on google (tecumseh diaphragm carburetors) under images, you will find a lot of pics to help you out...! if you get stuck come back here.

Telesis

Threads
As EngineMan said, those indeed are correct. Please keep this in mind, when replacing the diaphragm and gasket, pay attention what order the parts go back on. The gasket goes IN BETWEEN the diaphragm and the carb body. Then the diaphragm, then the cover. Also make sure you put the diaphragm on with the proper side facing the carb body. Just put it on the same way the old one came off.

Enjoy...

upupandaway

Threads