Lung Protection when mowing?

55TBird

Threads
Yesterday while mowing I had a bit of a coughing fit. Usually, it isn't until later in the Summer when I'm making clouds of dirt that I've been bothered by my lungs and eyes.
For my eyes, I've tried foam-backed motorcycle style goggles but I can't stand them. Perhaps I can find foam-backed safety goggles that don't strap around my head.

As for my lungs, I do worry about how much I breathe in, both dust and tiny clippings. I really don't think I could stand wearing a respirator. I have one I wear when using a paint sprayer and it makes me claustrophobic.
Even those little white masks annoy me and make my glasses fog up.

I'd like to hear if breathing dirt bothers you much and if there is anything you do that is not too uncomfortable.

For you pro's, does OSHA require you to wear protective gear or provide it to employees?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't breathe through your mouth as there is no filtering in that air intake. Think of it as a bypass only. Us old geezers tend to get all slack-jawed--I see them with mouths gaping all the time.

Mow with dew on the grass. Not generally a good idea for quality mowing but reduces the amount of airborne goodies.

TonyPrin

Threads
I'd consider a bandana like the bad guys in old westerns.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never notice dusty conditions when mowing grass except around my gravel drive way in the summer season. Not enough dust to cause any problems. Where I run into trouble is with hay fever when there is a lot of pollen in the air. I just work through it the best I can and take allergy pills after which puts me in a sleepy mode.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well fella's I see it like this ... NOW , that I'm 70+ ...and I'm on the downhill run of my life and NOT wanting
to become a burden on my family ... I TRY to look at what's left ...this way , I'm here for a good time,... NOT a long time !

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well fella's I see it like this ... NOW , that I'm 70+ ...and I'm on the downhill run of my life and NOT wanting
to become a burden on my family ... I TRY to look at what's left ...this way , I'm here for a good time,... NOT a long time !

Well I am on the back side of my 70's and I say save as much as you can. Nothing wrong with saving your lungs. I have never smoked and now seeing people that I know that are younger then me smoking and having a lot of heath problems and some of them have died. So if the dust brothers you I say do something about it. SAVE YOUR LUNGS BECAUSE YOU NEED THEM

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well I am on the back side of my 70's and I say save as much as you can. Nothing wrong with saving your lungs. I have never smoked and now seeing people that I know that are younger then me smoking and having a lot of heath problems and some of them have died. So if the dust brothers you I say do something about it. SAVE YOUR LUNGS BECAUSE YOU NEED THEM

I'm in agreement about the smoking,... it has caused most of the medical problems I now have to live with ... mostly
clogged arteries resulting in P.A.D. ...YES from smoking ... but then I partied ALL my life too! I really did'nt expect to see 30 when I went into the service . Had I known I was going to live this long...I would have taken MUCH better care of myself ...!!!

...:mur: ..:ban: ..:thumbdown:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rule of thumb.
If you can see it your nose can filter it out or you lungs can handle it.
It is the stuff that is too fine to be seen that is a problem.
Grass dust is organic, your body is organic, it can deal with it.
Coughing is one of the natural ways it manages dust.

OTOH if you are driving in dust clouds when mowing, you are mowing way too low

primerbulb120

Threads
I create huge dust clouds when mowing at 4 inches. I use Oregon Gator G6 blades and the dust they create is horrendous, especially on a yard with little grass. When we get some rain, things should improve.