Lung Protection when mowing?

55TBird

Threads
Get one of these masks: http://wolfsnout.com/

Better than a paper mask, not as heavy and clunky as a respirator. The under nose design prevents it from fogging​ up your glasses. The guys over at Lawnsite love them. https://www.lawnsite.com/threads/wolfsnout.416819/

Thank you PrimerBulb....that's what I'm talking about. That looks like something I could wear and live with. Side benefit: I'll look like a wolf! (Or a pig.)

As for dirt clouds, I live in the country and there always ends up being places where there are dirt patches. My son loves to do donuts with the Gator and tear the heck out of the yard when it is muddy in the Spring or Winter. Or people turn around in the yard and spin their tires in the mud and all that stuff ends up as dirt patches in the dry Summer. Also, places under trees where the grass just never gets thick. Whatever, I could mow at 5 inches and still kick up lots of dirt. My lower legs and feet are covered after I mow.

I think this Wolf mask may be just the thing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 5.34.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 5.34.30 PM.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 7

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Dust filter.jpg

You could try one of these , nice & soft but SWMBO might just ask where you got it from.

primerbulb120

Threads
Thank you PrimerBulb....that's what I'm talking about. That looks like something I could wear and live with. Side benefit: I'll look like a wolf! (Or a pig.)

As for dirt clouds, I live in the country and there always ends up being places where there are dirt patches. My son loves to do donuts with the Gator and tear the heck out of the yard when it is muddy in the Spring or Winter. Or people turn around in the yard and spin their tires in the mud and all that stuff ends up as dirt patches in the dry Summer. Also, places under trees where the grass just never gets thick. Whatever, I could mow at 5 inches and still kick up lots of dirt. My lower legs and feet are covered after I mow.

I think this Wolf mask may be just the thing.

My thoughts exactly! I have several yards that are basically dirt with some weeds growing out of it. The dust clouds are awful! :eek:

Lawn Addict
Threads
:laughing:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Be careful about breathing that dust. especially if you are having problems with it. In my area dry grass or hay can contain a fungus that has been linked to fungal pneumonia.

turbofiat124

Threads
Yesterday while mowing I had a bit of a coughing fit. Usually, it isn't until later in the Summer when I'm making clouds of dirt that I've been bothered by my lungs and eyes.
For my eyes, I've tried foam-backed motorcycle style goggles but I can't stand them. Perhaps I can find foam-backed safety goggles that don't strap around my head.

As for my lungs, I do worry about how much I breathe in, both dust and tiny clippings. I really don't think I could stand wearing a respirator. I have one I wear when using a paint sprayer and it makes me claustrophobic.
Even those little white masks annoy me and make my glasses fog up.

I'd like to hear if breathing dirt bothers you much and if there is anything you do that is not too uncomfortable.

For you pro's, does OSHA require you to wear protective gear or provide it to employees?

I have to use those white 3M dust masks during the dry season or when mulching leaves in the fall. I kick up quite a dust bowel. Otherwise I'm blowing black stuff out of my nose at bedtime.

I work in a chemical plant so we have all sorts of masks we have. You can get those comfo masks with replaceable dust filters like this one:

3m-6291-main_1.jpg

But I found the disposable 3M masks with the yellow bands are way more comfortable.

The other alternative I've done in the past is to take an old T-shirt and cut it and wrap it over my mouth and tie it in a knot behind my neck.

primerbulb120

Threads
I have to use those white 3M dust masks during the dry season or when mulching leaves in the fall. I kick up quite a dust bowel. Otherwise I'm blowing black stuff out of my nose at bedtime.

I work in a chemical plant so we have all sorts of masks we have. You can get those comfo masks with replaceable dust filters like this one:

3m-6291-main_1.jpg

But I found the disposable 3M masks with the yellow bands are way more comfortable.

The other alternative I've done in the past is to take an old T-shirt and cut it and wrap it over my mouth and tie it in a knot behind my neck.

You've got to try one of those Wolfsnout masks. It's as comfortable as a 3M disposable mask, but it won't fog your glasses and it won't collapse if it gets moist.