did i screw up?

papahonk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I just recently bought a ltx 1054 with transaxle issues, it would go a bit then stop. i pulled battery inserted a 1/4 in allen head in the plug on top then went and got a socket one then stripped it. so without the ability to see if it was low, and since i could not see any indication it had leaked anyhwere. I pulled the trans from the lt 1045 which looked identical and had no problems while that mower had ran. i popped that cap and it looked black so i went ahead and drained it and refilled with 20-50w oil. the mower will go forward but so not as fast as the other mower had, and reverse is almost non existant if its flat it will very slowly move if it incounters any slope or obstacles you just sit there and you cant even stop the blades and push as the mower dies if your tush even remotely comes off. only way it stays running is if brake is set and that dosent help when you need to push the more backwards.
My question is did i mess up by adding the wrong oil? or is there something else i could look at. what would be the chances of being able to rebuild the one i have sitting out already?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hydrogear uses 20w50 as standard oil. Tufftorq is 5w50 synthetic

papahonk

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok i have the hydrogear so i put the right stuff in. guess it just went bad sitting there