MTD Pinto Briggs & Stratton 7hp Engine Flooding.

Mightynic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dear All,

I wondered if anyone has experienced this issue. I have an old MTD Pinto with a Briggs & Stratton 7hp OHV engine (Model: 121602-0275-E1). The problem is that when the engine is not running, fuel flows back through the carburetor (I assume it’s through the carb) and visibly pools at the bottom of the air intake assembly. This causes the engine to flood and prevents the engine from restarting. The leak is so bad that I’ve had to install a ¼ turn valve in the fuel line to prevent the entire fuel tank (gravity feed) from emptying whilst the mower is not in use. To start the engine again I have to close the fuel valve, remove the spark plug, turn the engine over to purge the cylinder, replace the plug then open the fuel valve very slightly to allow a trickle of fuel to the carb. Then i turn the engine over and if it starts, I have to open the valve quickly to prevent it starving. A ridiculous starting procedure!

My understanding of the issue led me to believe that either the carburetor needle wasn’t seating fully or that the float was filling with fuel and not lifting or was otherwise obstructed. So, I’ve replaced the needle and seat as well as the float and its pivot pin and all gaskets. I’ve also replaced the governor spring. On the bench the carb always works well. The needle is seating properly and preventing the flooding of fuel back through. When the carburetor is back on the engine, all tightened up and fitted with new gaskets, I get fuel leaking back again after the engine has been running.

The question is, am I missing something? Is there a known floor in these carbs when they warm up or a bypass / breather which is back flooding? Ideas welcome. I’ll update with photographs if anyone is interested.

MTD Pinto Engine.jpgMTD Pinto.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the carb has warped or is warping when you tighten it up.
Back off the nuts a little and see if this helps.

Mightynic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could be that, I might have over tightened, wouldn't be the first time. I'll try to get on it tomorrow and post my findings.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also some of those engine have a vent hole in the mounting flange of the air cleaner. if that hole gets blocked by rtv sealant, gasket, etc, it will cause a siphoning effect.

Mightynic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Time for an update. I went to slacken the bolts of the carb last night, following the comment from bertsmobile1. To do that you have to remove the air intake and filter. With the filter off and the air intake still in place, I opened the fuel tap. Fuel glugged as it filled the carb and before long I could see it pooling in the air intake. I closed he fuel tap and removed the air intake. Out of curiosity I opened the fuel tap again. With the air intake removed and the tap open no fuel leaked from the carb!! So I set a little choke and gave the string a good hard pull and with a cough the engine started. It NEVER starts that easily! So I stopped the engine and watched the carb. Again, no excess fuel. So I replaced the air intake and filter. The engine struggled to start. I had to pre-feed the carb, shut off the fuel tap, start the engine then quickly open the fuel tap. I removed the filter so I could look into the air intake, stopped the engine and watched as the carb flooded the air intake again!

So the problem is with the air intake.

Mightynic

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've added some photos in support of my last post. Photos always help. I apologise for the inverted pics, they're correct before importing to the forum I promise!!

Air Intake & Primer Bulb
Air Intake & Bulb.jpg

Air Filter on the Air Intake
Air Filter & Air Intake.jpg

Air Intake
Air Intake.jpg

Fuel tap
Fuel Tap.jpg

Carb Installed
Mounted Carb.jpg

Engine Overview
MTD Pinto Engine.jpg