Trying To Find Ideal Garden Tractor - Kawi Engine, Locking Diff, Hydro Tranny?

jdlev

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Trying To Find Ideal Garden Tractor - Kawi Engine, Locking Diff, Hydro Tranny?
Hi Guys,

I've been parusing the Huskies. Have a YTH46K20 right now that's been pretty good to me, so plan to stick w/ Huski. I originally wanted a zero turn, but have read they're a pain to deal with on hills, and about 75% of my hard is hills...some very steep.

Problem is I don't want another crap Briggs engine. Have had more than enough experience w/ Briggs and would rather deal with a predator engine from harbor frieght than that junk. The Kohler isn't ideal, but I might be willing to settle on that. Really would prefer a Kawi engine.

My yard has some pretty steep slopes on it which is why I need the locking diff. Also use it to haul around firewoord. The 20hp handled pretty much everything I needed, but it slipped - alot. From what I've found, I have to either choose between a kawi w/ no locking diff in the GT52XLS or I have to deal with Briggs. While I'd prefer not to have to do the whole wheel weight thing or fill the tires with water or whatever, I'll do that to stick with the Kawi engine over the Briggs. I'm still not even 100% sure if the GT52XLS has the auto locking differential or if it has no locking differential. Even the posts I've read on here have some that say it does and some that say it doesn't so I have no idea lol.

I've got up to $5k to spend. As far as I can tell, huski doesn't make my ideal tractor w/ all the features I'm looking for...but if it's out their I figured you guys would know. Thanks for any advice!

Bicklebok

Threads
  • / Trying To Find Ideal Garden Tractor - Kawi Engine, Locking Diff, Hydro Tranny?
I wouldnt worry too much about trying to stay with Husqvarna, since your current mower was likely made by a company that makes several other brand mowers. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I wouldnt worry too much about trying to stay with Husqvarna, since your current mower was likely made by a company that makes several other brand mowers. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in.

Husqvarna is the manufacture that make a lot of other mowers.
www.husqvarna.com for your choices.

Last edited:

bckskin2

Threads
What is the problem with the B&S engine? I have never had one so really do not know. The GT52xlsi on paper looks like a nice tractor Fabricated deck, locking differential, auto-choke, etc. Have you shopped some other brands?
I have thought of moving up to a compact tractor just for ROPS.

PS I have had a Yard Man, a GTH2548, and a JD X500 and really like that old Yard Man. I wish I would have hat the time and money yo put a new engine in it.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
My pick YT42DXLS

cruzenmike

Threads
GT48DXLS is my vote. 48" Clear Cut Deck, 24hp Kawasaki and K66 ELD all for $3000.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
GT48DXLS is my vote. 48" Clear Cut Deck, 24hp Kawasaki and K66 ELD all for $3000.

He wants a locking diff and from what I can tell that one does not have one.

Pumper54

Threads
Before you going buying a new tractor (but we all enjoy doing that) you might think about looking at more aggressive tires or tire chains for your current mower. I have a very steep dirt road (trail) on my farm that leads down to the pond area and I have to put my truck in 4 wheel drive, my Murray mower used to spin the wheels and slip going up the road till I installed tire chains on the rear wheels, no more slipping coming up the hill. Just something to think about.
Tom

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
After 13 years with a Craftsman dyt 4000/ Intek I also was hard against Briggs because of pushed guide and overheating . But I also wanted the locking diff and finally overcame the bias because my reading and talking to the local Husky dealer about Kaw engines. They push guides too even on the commercial units. So I bought the Intek/locking diff combo last July (Husky GT48XLSi). With only 45 hours it is too soon to comment on the Intek Endurance engine which may be assembled on a different line than most big box stuff (If Sears is big box they are showing the Platinum Intek at a competitive price , but without the locker). The new Intek does hold 5w 30 better than the old Intek which threw it out ( no smoke) past the rings from new. There is another current Husky with a limited slip similar to some automotive units which senses loss of traction and works automatically (no manual switch).

I rave on in another thread about the new Husky. I do like the electric switch actuated locking diff. Yesterday I pulled out a dying landscape tree with a chain. It spun and I went easy, but finally out.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The ideal tractor would be one of the John Deere 4WD, 4 wheel steer units with a diesel or Kawasaki engine--until you factor in price. They're probably four times as much as a Husky.

Getting back to reality, the OP's frustration with Briggs engines is a primary concern. Engines are the source of a majority of problems with any kind of mower.

With that, if I had to choose between an engine that I wanted or a locking differential, I'd choose the engine. The differential only comes into play once in a while. The engine is in play 100% of the time.