Trying To Find Ideal Garden Tractor - Kawi Engine, Locking Diff, Hydro Tranny?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Trying To Find Ideal Garden Tractor - Kawi Engine, Locking Diff, Hydro Tranny?
Out here it is wet, wet, wet and slippery. With the dyt4000 even the slightest grade on wet grass was "verboden." Digging out in such situations is a bummer. I looked and looked at compact tractors and also concluded even a used one was around $10K. At $3K (cash special) I am so far happy with the Husky, although the grass catcher is way too expensive ( I will limp along with the aged dyt4000 for leaves).

cruzenmike

Threads
  • / Trying To Find Ideal Garden Tractor - Kawi Engine, Locking Diff, Hydro Tranny?
He wants a locking diff and from what I can tell that one does not have one.

On that specific model of Husky (GT48DXLS) it has the electronic locking differential which is controlled by a rocker switch to the right if the steering column. I have researched this model extensively and have looked at it in person at least a dozen times at the local Family Farm and Home. The K66 also makes 410Nm tq which is a ton for a tractor of this size. At $2999, you cannot find a competing model, especially not a Deere, that has the same features. Not trying to prove you wrong or anything, but based in the needs or wants of the OP, I think the one gets pretty close without breaking the bank. If a John Deere with 4WD/4WS fits better or can do more, and price is a non-issue, then so be it. The high end Deere's are great machines, they just carry a high price tag.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oh prove me wrong anytime I am wrong. I try to alway get it right but I miss stuff. That is the beauty of a public forum. I take nothing personally and if I'm wrong I can and do admit it.

So now to my update for this thread. WOW, what a good price for that Lawn tractor. It would be my choice for sure. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I was looking I found that several dealers were confused about model designations and I even spent some time in a dealer while he called the Husky distributor to clarify models/ features. Even after that call the dealer was unsure. Spend some time doing your own research so you do not end up with the wrong model. The cash sale I made was for a model that had sat for a while on the showroom floor and I believe the list price was around $3400. Had to drive 80 miles for the deal which I saw advertised on craigslist. If the big Craftsman GT (black platinum engine) had the K 66 I would have looked hard at it after I resolved for another Briggs. One of those stuffed with the K 66 might still have hit a good price point still well below a compact tractor.

jdlev

Forum Newbie
Threads
After 13 years with a Craftsman dyt 4000/ Intek I also was hard against Briggs because of pushed guide and overheating . But I also wanted the locking diff and finally overcame the bias because my reading and talking to the local Husky dealer about Kaw engines. They push guides too even on the commercial units. So I bought the Intek/locking diff combo last July (Husky GT48XLSi). With only 45 hours it is too soon to comment on the Intek Endurance engine which may be assembled on a different line than most big box stuff (If Sears is big box they are showing the Platinum Intek at a competitive price , but without the locker). The new Intek does hold 5w 30 better than the old Intek which threw it out ( no smoke) past the rings from new. There is another current Husky with a limited slip similar to some automotive units which senses loss of traction and works automatically (no manual switch).

I rave on in another thread about the new Husky. I do like the electric switch actuated locking diff. Yesterday I pulled out a dying landscape tree with a chain. It spun and I went easy, but finally out.

That's an interesting point you make about the oil that I never thought about. Maybe if I throw a heavier oil in there, it'll be less likely to leak oil. It's usually just a few puffs of smoke on startup, so maybe that'll solve that issue. I thought maybe I would have to get new rings or maybe it was time for a valve adjustment.

jdlev

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I was looking I found that several dealers were confused about model designations and I even spent some time in a dealer while he called the Husky distributor to clarify models/ features. Even after that call the dealer was unsure. Spend some time doing your own research so you do not end up with the wrong model. The cash sale I made was for a model that had sat for a while on the showroom floor and I believe the list price was around $3400. Had to drive 80 miles for the deal which I saw advertised on craigslist. If the big Craftsman GT (black platinum engine) had the K 66 I would have looked hard at it after I resolved for another Briggs. One of those stuffed with the K 66 might still have hit a good price point still well below a compact tractor.

I think I'm definitely leaning that direction. Engine > Locking Diff, but would love to have both. :(