Blade sharpening frequency

Bob E

Threads
I typically just pick the large ones up and mow over the smaller ones.

I do that too.

Which begs the question. When you sharpen a blade on a bench grinder, do you guys just put an edge on one side or sharpen it to a point like a knife?

Only sharpen the bevel side, like a wood chisel. Maintain the bevel angle, should be about 45 degrees, I just eyeball it. Don't bring the edge down to a real fine point, you don't need to shave hair with it. You should be able to see a hairline flat edge when you look at the cutting edge straight on. I've seen 1/64" recommended, but I've never measured it. Don't over heat the edge on the grinder. If you see any blueing you just lost the temper, and it will dull quicker. Also a bench grinder will create a hollow grind which won't be as strong as a flat grind. I like to clamp the blades in my workmate or to a bench and use an angle grinder.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like a nice big file.

pgrimes@insight.rr.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just got a new blade and it does not appear to be sharp at all. You know, won't cut warm butter. Is it customary to have to sharpen a new blade before first use?

TonyPrin

Threads
I just got a new blade and it does not appear to be sharp at all. You know, won't cut warm butter. Is it customary to have to sharpen a new blade before first use?

Mower blades needn't be very sharp. Keep in mind, you're cutting grass not steak. The best way to see if the blade is sharp may be to try it and examine the grass afterward. If the blade cuts the grass rather than tearing it, you're fine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

As the blades are supplied is as they should be used.
A finer edge will cut better but will wear fasted and dent much more easily, so it is a trade off.
The actual sharpness that works best will depend upon what type of grass you mow and what type of soil you have.