Which solenoid to replace?

Mick Oz

Threads
That is not the correct one if it has 7 poles. I can barely get around on your Australian sites so here is the part number so you can see if you can find one. 6152 430 2400

Thankyou BlazNT, i do appreciate it. I will be able to find one in Oz or china using that part number.

Mick Oz

Threads
https://www.gaspares.com.au
Search engine is reasonably good try using ignition switch / starter switch. or just plain switch.
Most switches will be marked underneath
B = battery
S = Starter
G = Earth
M = magneto
A = Alternator
L = lights
There are only 4 mower switch makers and only about 8 switch variations.
The K & T web site you have been sent to before has the Briggs alternator replacement PDF on it and in the end of that is the basic wiring diagrams for almost every mower.
Thanks mate, my eyes are not good enough to pick out any markings on the base of my switch, so i will give it a rub with some graphite and see what shows up.
Otherwise i will after 40 years of playing with engines i will finally have learn a bit about electronics.
I will report back with a result

Mick Oz

Threads
The markings were not on the surface of the switch they were stamped into the surface of each connecting tab.

Attachments

• IMG_5225.jpg
    IMG_5225.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5226.jpg
    IMG_5226.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 5

Mick Oz

Threads
I have MSBGL.
Do you have any suggestions what the unmarked 6th connector would be? The original wiring has a 5 pin block connector and they are the ones marked.
Also a single pin connector with no marks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not all the time but most of the time that outside terminal is the switch ground. It is grounded to the housing of the switch. Used in cases where the switch is mounted on a plastic dash, and without it the kill circuit doesn't work. but in some cases could be used as an power source for like lights, or the fuel shutoff solenoid

Mick Oz

Threads
Thanks ILEngine, that makes sense.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also it was common to run the return feed from the alternator through the ignition switch.
Some times they put a direct short to the alternator to make the engine stop faster.
Some mowers use AC lighting and have a terminal that connects to ground to make the light circuit.
Now if you go to the Gripskie web site you will see that all the switches have their terminals marked.
So all you need to do is find a 5 blade with the same layout.
If not the female terminals in the switch can be removed by inserting a ground down feeler gauge in there and giving them a sharp tug

Mick Oz

Threads
Ok Bert , once my replacement solenoid and switch arrive I will report back. No doubt asking a lot more questions

Mick Oz

Threads
Just an update, i have fitted the replacement solenoid as you know and now that I have the replacement key switch it is in place as well.
Thankyou all, the mower is starting and running very well once more, even with a propper key.