2017 Gravely ZT HD the same as Aries Apex?

Hzgray

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can buy Aries Apex 60 for $4500 at big box store with veteran discount. Looks to be absolutely identical to ZT HD 60 with Koehler 7000 pro except for color. I'd like to give business to local Gravely dealer but $500 price difference is very tough to pass up. Any thoughts on this model? 4 acres of converted pasture and multiple fruit trees. Thanks!

MOWHAPPY

Threads
Hi Hzgray. I've been researching this question the last couple days. I ran into a situation where I was able to get a BIG discount on the Ariens Apex 60" with Kohler 7000 motor. My immediate thought at the time was buy now and research after because the order can be cancelled.

At this point, I've been researching online and contacted Ariens directly. I spoke with a sales rep and they did a comparison with the specs they have and concluded that the Kohler motor on the Gravely HD is 26 HP and 25 HP on the Ariens Apex for the 60" deck version. The HP for the Kawasaki motor is the same on both mowers for the 60 version. I personally don't think you can go wrong with either motor. Most folks will typically choose the Kawasaki, but the Kohler 7000 has proven to be a good, reliable motor.

Another difference is the paint which is obvious.

One thing i seen in my research is that both mowers mention having a tubular frame. Gravely has the HD listed as a fully welded tubular frame. Ariens has the Apex listed as a fully tubular steel frame. I've not found out yet if the Apex frame is fully welded like the HD.

Everything else between the two is the same from my research so far.

The only thing that scares me about Ariens (particularly the Apex series) is that I've not seen many customer reviews. On the flip-side, I see a lot of people raving about Gravely. All mowers have issues at some point, even Gravely. Just check out this website as a start. :)

I hope others will chime in that may know more about these mowers.

Last edited:

Arkansmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Best I can tell, the only difference might be who you would take it to for any repair service. The local Gravely dealer might be easier to deal with and more knowledgeable than a big chain store, or he might not.

Hit your dealer up for a discount. My local Gravely guy told me he was required to sell at MSRP, so I drove an hour to another dealer who knocked off a few hundred because I was paying cash. It's just a matter of how much they want to make a sale.

Either way, you are getting a darn fine mower that certainly should make short work of 4 acres with fruit trees.

MOWHAPPY

Threads
Best I can tell, the only difference might be who you would take it to for any repair service. The local Gravely dealer might be easier to deal with and more knowledgeable than a big chain store, or he might not.

Hit your dealer up for a discount. My local Gravely guy told me he was required to sell at MSRP, so I drove an hour to another dealer who knocked off a few hundred because I was paying cash. It's just a matter of how much they want to make a sale.

Either way, you are getting a darn fine mower that certainly should make short work of 4 acres with fruit trees.

Arkansmith, if you dont mind sharing, what type of discount did you get on the Gravely? I saved over 1k on the Apex. If it was only a couple hundred or so, i'd probably go with the Gravely since the name alone carries some value, particularly for resale.

Arkansmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Arkansmith, if you dont mind sharing, what type of discount did you get on the Gravely? I saved over 1k on the Apex. If it was only a couple hundred or so, i'd probably go with the Gravely since the name alone carries some value, particularly for resale.

$300, if I remember right.

MOWHAPPY

Threads
I can buy Aries Apex 60 for $4500 at big box store with veteran discount. Looks to be absolutely identical to ZT HD 60 with Koehler 7000 pro except for color. I'd like to give business to local Gravely dealer but $500 price difference is very tough to pass up. Any thoughts on this model? 4 acres of converted pasture and multiple fruit trees. Thanks!

Hzgray,

Did you end up buying the Apex? If so, hows it working out for you?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been told and have read that the mowers sold in Big Box stores are not the same as the ones sold at dealers. Whether this is true or not, I don't know.

I would tell the dealer "I can buy the same mower at such-such-and-such store for $500 less. Can you sell me one for that?"

If the answer is "no", then ask why not. Maybe he will explain the difference between his mower and the lower-priced one at Home Despot, et al.

I bought a Honda motorcycle from a dealer 200 miles away because I could save a few bucks. When the alternator died, the local dealer told me they'd fix it, but his customers have priority, whether they were already in line or got there after me. In other words, my motorcycle would be worked on only during their slack time. I took it to another Honda dealer and they said "no problem, we'll get to it right away" and they did. So it pays to know how your local dealer treats customers who didn't buy from them.

MOWHAPPY

Threads
I've been told and have read that the mowers sold in Big Box stores are not the same as the ones sold at dealers. Whether this is true or not, I don't know.

I would tell the dealer "I can buy the same mower at such-such-and-such store for $500 less. Can you sell me one for that?"

If the answer is "no", then ask why not. Maybe he will explain the difference between his mower and the lower-priced one at Home Despot, et al.

I bought a Honda motorcycle from a dealer 200 miles away because I could save a few bucks. When the alternator died, the local dealer told me they'd fix it, but his customers have priority, whether they were already in line or got there after me. In other words, my motorcycle would be worked on only during their slack time. I took it to another Honda dealer and they said "no problem, we'll get to it right away" and they did. So it pays to know how your local dealer treats customers who didn't buy from them.

Very good point. The situation I'm in is that I was able to save $1300 on the Ariens Apex 60" mower from a big box store. I've called three dealers and the best they can do on the equivalent Gravely ZT HD 60" is $5100 + tax. I'm wondering if it's still worth the risk of buying the Apex even with that big of a discount. From all of the research I've done (looked online, called dealers and Ariens), the mowers are exactly the same minus paint color and the Gravely may have a little more horsepower on some motors.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's a tough choice. The more time you have, that works in your favor. To get the best price, you've got to be willing to walk away.

As I said, I've bought from far-away dealers before but I would avoid it if possible now and try like hell to buy locally.

Cash usually is a good bargaining chip, but not always. Sometimes businesses can sell for a lower price if they finance. You can offer them the BBS price as cash or finance, their choice. If it's still a 'no-deal,' have them explain why their mower is worth more. We tend to think it's always 'greed' on their part, but I doubt that--They're in business to sell mowers to customers, not send them away empty-handed. After making the offer, (cash or finance, their choice) and they don't accept it, tell them you'll think on it and walk away. Just because they didn't accept it today doesn't mean they won't accept it tomorrow or a week from now.

MOWHAPPY

Threads
It's a tough choice. The more time you have, that works in your favor. To get the best price, you've got to be willing to walk away.

As I said, I've bought from far-away dealers before but I would avoid it if possible now and try like hell to buy locally.

Cash usually is a good bargaining chip, but not always. Sometimes businesses can sell for a lower price if they finance. You can offer them the BBS price as cash or finance, their choice. If it's still a 'no-deal,' have them explain why their mower is worth more. We tend to think it's always 'greed' on their part, but I doubt that--They're in business to sell mowers to customers, not send them away empty-handed. After making the offer, (cash or finance, their choice) and they don't accept it, tell them you'll think on it and walk away. Just because they didn't accept it today doesn't mean they won't accept it tomorrow or a week from now.

Good advice. Appreciate the feedback.