718 grasshopper keeps blowing pto fuse

cmac80

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, New guy here and I'm having an issue. I have a '99 718 with a Briggs with around 1000 hours. I'm having an issue with the PTO fuse blowing. I've replaced the pto itself as well as the PTO switch and it still blows it. Sometimes it works for 15 mins and sometimes it blows withing a few seconds. Ive also traced down all the wires and everything seems to be good and ive also checked the continutity. What am i missing here? this is getting real annoying.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could be the switch itself.
They are a bit on the crud rude & unsofisticated side.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have replaced the clutch and switch, you have to triple check the wiring. One way I do it after physically running my bare fingers over every bit of wire I can. Disconnect the plug at the clutch and the switch and connect one lead of your OHM meter to one of the terminals and the other lead to a good ground. If your meter has an audio alarm continuity position use that or the lowest OHM scale. Now shake the wires hard while watching or listening to the meter. If the alarm sounds or the meter moves, showing continuity, you have a short to ground which is causing your problem. At this point you will have to physically find a frayed wire or break. If nothing changes on your meter, select another terminal and repeat. Do this on both the clutch and switch ends. As with any electrical problem you must go slow and triple check everything. You must never assume something is good until you have checked it more than once. If everything checks out good, you will have to test the switch and clutch to see if you may have gotten a bad one.

cmac80

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the helpful info. I dug around on it today with no luck yet. I did wire around it with a switch and inline fuse and I mowed with it and no issues at all. As far as I can tell and my best guess is its something up under the control panel. I have a wiring diagram now and my project for the coming days is to take alll those wires out of there so i can get a good look and start tracking on the diagram. it has to be something simple that i am overlooking.

SpeedyPete

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a similar problem. Was mowing and the PTO just quit. Started to look this over and pulled the PTO clutch. It was junk. Bushing was sp bad it wiped out the mag coil. Bought a new OX clutch, changed the blown 7.5 amp fuse, all ready to go and no. Now it won't start. I can hear the relay clicking and starter drive running out into the flywheel but will not spin. I have power to the blue wirfe at the solenoid and at the yellow wire. I also noticed the PTO will not power up with the key on and my butt on the seat. Got me stumped.

SpeedyPete

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a similar problem. Was mowing and the PTO just quit. Started to look this over and pulled the PTO clutch. It was junk. Bushing was so bad it wiped out the mag coil. Bought a new OX clutch, changed the blown 7.5 amp fuse, all ready to go and no. Now it won't start. I can hear the relay clicking and starter drive running out into the flywheel but will not spin. I have power to the blue wirfe at the solenoid and at the yellow wire. I also noticed the PTO will not power up with the key on and my butt on the seat. Got me stumped.
I forgot to start with I have a 1999 grasshopper 718 that has a 22hp Honda clone in it. I have been running this set up for 6 weeks I mow 5 acers and love the extra power. I mow every 5 to 6 days this time of year.