Toro z5060, bad crank seal?

ls3c6

Threads
Kohler courage vtwin 22hp, Finding oil around the base of the engine during use but not above, removed pto and drive belt seal is damp leaks from the frame a drop or two after each use. Pto engaged at next use it squeals a few seconds also (wet belt/clutch?) And resolves.

Was going to replace seal, can't find anything else. Pto was soaked with oil when I bought the mower 4 runtime hours ago.

Please see picture.

Attachments

• 20170506_005255.jpg
    20170506_005255.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 12

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be something as simple as the seal. But just as a precaution, remove the spark plugs, and while turning the engine try to move the crankshaft back and forth. I have seen causes where you would only get a leak while running and found that both the crankshaft and sump bearing were both badly damaged. There would be one spot that would when turned would allow the crank to move enough to open a gap between the crankshaft, and the seal lip.

ls3c6

Threads
No radial play in the crank, removed old seal and attempted to tap the new one in it went in lobsided so now that's ruined *sigh*

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Use a piece of pipe to tap it into place. It can be plastic pipe as well.

ls3c6

Threads
Got it in there with pvc, seeing wet oil near mounting holes up top on the oil pan hopefully just residual and the pan isn't cracked, motor bolts were loose when I bought it.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The picture you have on here did not look like it was coming from seal but higher up. Like pan gasket.

ls3c6

Threads
It's dry all around where the gasket is poking out between the pan and the block.

ls3c6

Threads
It's dry all around where the gasket is poking out between the pan and the block.

Well it wasnt the crank seal, oil still collecting around the motor mount bolts and ends up between the motor and seat after mowing. Hills make it worse. Motor frame bolts were very loose when I bought it so cracked pan?

Also it sounds like one of the spindle pullies squeals at initial pto engagement, I already did all new deck spindle bearings and idler pullies.

Off to the shop I guess. See attached pic.

Attachments

• 20170510_184321.jpg
    20170510_184321.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 7

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had a brand new rider in the shop a few years ago that had a casting flaw in the oil pan that would leak when warm.

ls3c6

Threads
I had a brand new rider in the shop a few years ago that had a casting flaw in the oil pan that would leak when warm.

This one's a 2009 that I'm finding was I'll maintained and I should have bought a new one, lesson learned.