Toro z5060, bad crank seal?

ls3c6

Threads
WHEW! I found it. I had to bypass the blade safety so I could stand behind the machine with the blades on at high rpm to detect the leak, for some reason it didn't leak much if any without load.

Anyway, it's leaking in a pinhole sized space in the sump gasket near the starter, i'll have to remove the engine to fix.

My question is, any gotchas here? Is permatex ultra grey an acceptable sealant for longevity?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
On briggs the gasket thickness is used to set the crankshaft end play spec.

ls3c6

Threads
this is a Kohler SV720, it does not have a gasket just sealant and by the book loctite 5900/5910 is specified, what permatex readily available can i use?

ls3c6

Threads
Well boys, I removed the engine and resealed the sump with yamabond #4, let sit for 24hrs and filled it back up with oil, cut with it for just over an hour now and.... NO LEAK! :cool:

I also increased the revs to 3500 no load by moving the governor spring from #1 to #3 on the arm, no harm right? blade speed regs etc.

One last thing, when I start it choked and immediately move to high throttle it hunts 3100-3300rpm for 15-20 seconds then smooths out, that normal?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
On today's emission engines some hunting is normal on cold start up.