LT1000 mandrel and idler pulley doesn't line up

tbeb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman LT1000, model 917.271661. Pretty sure it was manufactured in 2002.

I replaced the left spindle/mandrel assembly (Sears part #130794) with an Oregon spindle/mandrel assembly (Oregon part #82-225). I put 2 washers under the pulley per Oregon instructions. The pulley is lower than the left idler pulley. Mower deck belt comes off mandrel pulley and rides very low on the idler pulley, which is causing the bottom side of belt to wear. Belt breaks every 5 months. This even happened with an Oregon brand belt. Right now I'm using a Stens brand. I mow less than 1/2 acre.

Has anyone heard of a problem like this? (I can't see anything else that would cause the belt to break. It's routed correctly. Both idler pulleys are new. The right spindle/mandrel assembly is in good shape. I can't see anything wrong with any of the pulleys.)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That mower takes the standard 3 bolt AYP spindle housing.
I have never seen any that require spacing washers under the housing.
With the washers on how does the blade line up with the other one ?

The pulleys should line up with each other.
If not there are spacers that go under the pulley to do fine adjustments.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Picture. I have a feeling the bracket or deck is bent. Is the mowed grass level?

tbeb

Forum Newbie
Threads
That mower takes the standard 3 bolt AYP spindle housing.
I have never seen any that require spacing washers under the housing.
With the washers on how does the blade line up with the other one ?

The pulleys should line up with each other.
If not there are spacers that go under the pulley to do fine adjustments.[/QUOTE

I didn't put washers under the housing. I put 2 washers under the pulley--the one that was on the old mandrel assembly and the one that came with the new Oregon mandrel assembly. As far as putting another washer under the pulley... I'm not sure if there's room. I mean it may cover up too much of the spindle spline that the pulley locks in on. I talked to an Oregon technician, but he didn't suggest adding a 3rd washer.

tbeb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Picture. I have a feeling the bracket or deck is bent. Is the mowed grass level?

The mower deck is level, but the mowed grass doesn't look as level as it should. I'll take a closer look to see if something is bent.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Was the old mandrel identical to the new one ?
Did you buy the mower new ?
How old is the mower ?
Who has been at the deck ?

Sounds like a dodgy repair has been done in the past with the wrong idler pulley put on the deck.
Or the deck was bent and some one packed out a spindle rather than beating the deck.

I do anything up to 20 of these a year and never have a problem like this.