614 Hydro pump help needed

RescueMowerRepair

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, this is obviously my first post here, so I better give a bit of a Bio. I am a full time fireman and a part time small engine repair shop owner/mechanic, and I have been at it since 2009 professionally. I don't however, have much experience with Grasshoppers. Mostly due to the fact that they are not real popular in my area, and owners usually take them to a dealer for repairs.

So now, here is my problem. I picked up a customers mower the other day for some electrical repairs. Prior to my pick up, the mower had last been used in December of 2016. I jumped the starter to get it running just long enough to move it about 30' onto my trailer. Once back at the shop, I made all the repairs while still on the trailer I also started it a couple of times after after repair. On my last start up, which I always do one last time before it goes back to the customer, It was hard to start, and once it did it stalled as if it was being bogged down. After a little troubleshooting, I determined the right pump had seized. Hoping it was just the outer shaft bearing, I pulled the cover off to inspect it. Unfortunately, the problem lies deeper within. I am unable to find any diagrams online to help me with further disassembly. Is there anyone in this section that has cracked one of these pumps open and could help me out here?

Thanks
RMR

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
is there any numbers on the pump and who made it. Will help us to narrow down what is available.

RescueMowerRepair

Forum Newbie
Threads
Negative. But this is the the one that's on it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Grasshopper-391213-Right-Side-HYDRO-DRIVE-TRANSMISSION-PUMP-for-612-614-616-/262537701630?hash=item3d207768fe:g:-0kAAOSwsTxXkPVm

I went ahead and tore it down. It looks like the brass clenched bushing on the oil journal post has swollen and is too tight to rotate on the post. I wasn't aware that a clenched bushing could do that. Since parts are obsolete for this thing, I'm thinking about taking a .001 off it at a time until it fits correctly. At least it will buy the guy some time until he can buy another mower. The other option is to buy a new bushing from a bearing shop if I can find one, then drill out the 5 journal holes by hand.