Scag Freedom Z Sfz48-26bs

Clayton_ray07

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower has been running fine, cranked this morning then 20 minutes later wouldn't do anything. Turned the key moved the left arm out then back in and started right up. Stopped it to take cover off and male sure dirt wasn't behind arm switch. Went to crank back up and it'll turn over but not fire up. Checked solenoid with test light, works like it should. Checked all wiring connections and they are good. Put test light on spark plug wires turned key and nothing, so I'm thinking maybe the coils.
I tried starter fluid before everything to make sure it wasn't a gas issue.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wonder if it might be your ignition switch.

One time it does nothing (I'm assuming no cranking) and another time it cranks but no spark.

Clayton_ray07

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wonder if it might be your ignition switch.

One time it does nothing (I'm assuming no cranking) and another time it cranks but no spark.

It turns over every time so I'm thinking engine coils so going to change those but did order a ignition coil just incase.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
In your original thread, you said, "Turned the key moved the left arm out then back in and started right up. "

What is the 'left arm?' Is it something that has a kill switch on it?

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The "arms" steering levers ..... have safety switches on them to precent cranking with them in operating position. If starter engages then you do not have a safety switch issue of any kind that I have ever encountered anyway.

Many times my mowers won't start unless they are choked even if they are warm and have run a while and been shut down for a few minutes. Are you fully choking them to start?

Clayton_ray07

Forum Newbie
Threads
In your original thread, you said, "Turned the key moved the left arm out then back in and started right up. "

What is the 'left arm?' Is it something that has a kill switch on it?

At first it wouldn't turn over, so I moved the left arm/joystick or whatever it's called. Turns over every time now just won't crank.

Yes I've tried choking it, I wouldn't be posting to this page if I didn't try everything possible.
The starter was bad so got it changed, went ahead and changed solenoid just invade since it's cheap. But when i try to crank it and hold a test light to the spark plug cords theirs no power.
That's why I'm betting it's the engine coils. So getting those Tuesday to swap out.

Clayton_ray07

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok guys I have a new one for y'all. Was having the firing issue, changed engine coils and still won't fire. But the crazy part is after trying to crank it I started checking connections AGAIN. I unplugged the connection that goes to the engine coils(relay type plug). Turned the key over and it fired up for a few seconds then died again, won't fire when it's plugged up so I'm really hoping it's the ignition switch causing this.