Raptor flip up

Cory W

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just took delivery of a 48" Raptor flip up mower. It ran well for exactly 6 minutes before Koehler 7000 with Auto choke took off to approximately 4 times normal RPM. Shut it down and waited a minute or two and restarted....same outcome. Called dealer who sent delivery guy back to pick it up. Anybody had similar experience?

Last edited:

kraky

Threads
It probably doesn't make you feel any better but there must be a million of those 7000 engines out there.
I don't know if the start-up problems with the kolors are large in proportion or small in proportion to sales.... I just know that we seem to see enough of them and I feel for your pain. Hopefully they can get it fixed quick and simple and the engine becomes a durable Kohler type product like a lot of us are used to.

Mr. Mower

Threads
I own a Hustler Raptor Flip Up 54" mower with the Kohler 25hp 7000 Series engine that I purchased back in Aug. 2016.

Definitely not an expert here but just going to give you my opinion, experience, etc.

First off, my manual says "allow the engine to idle two minutes before advancing the throttle and /or engaging the deck clutch" prior to actually starting to proceed to cutting, etc. found out that if this is not performed the it becomes a factor when actually beginning to first use the mower. If not properly warmed up the mower will stop/cut out when mowing.

So read your manual section on "starting your engine" for your specific Hustler style/model/type of mower and see specifically what it says?

Also it is important to "never" use old gas and use gas with an Octane of 87 or higher.

Also when finishing cutting grass let the engine run idle for 2-3min. with the throttle on mid to low before switching off.

The best advice I can give you about all this is to go back and read your manual real good so that you get more or less an idea on how to handle that Hustler mower.

Good Luck and hope everything works out well for you.