RARE SIGHTINGS NEEDED! Anyone with XT1LT42, XT1LT46 or XT2LX42 ??

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / RARE SIGHTINGS NEEDED! Anyone with XT1LT42, XT1LT46 or XT2LX42 ??
I can already see the light. Keep it coming and we will bring along the generations of carb enthusiasts with us. I am glad to hear "closed loop." It seems primitive to run a generator open loop ,especially in view of ? typical? high usage hours and emissions. My carburetted Intek 24 on the heavier Husqy uses a lot of gas !

Edit" My thread response 18 above on the "chunks of cost" was goofy on engine cost....H Frt is still selling its Predator @ $99 and , love it or hate it , that is a LOW number. Time for Trump "dumping police" to check that out.... but seriously, it may play a big role in the intro pricing, whatever.:smile:

bullrider

Threads
Really, compared to EFI, a carburetor is brain dead. It guesses how much gas is needed based on how much air is rushing through it and some other things. All those little gizmos and springs and floats and such. Throw a load on it so the RPM's drop and another little gizmo pulls on the throttle to speed it back up. Get it out of whack and the engine will speed up and slow down, over and over. I've always hated governors.
I'm sure there are lots of people who would say how and why they prefer a carburetor to EFI and that's fine, whatever floats your boat. But when all else is equal and the EFI system makes more power while using 25% less gas, and runs and starts better, it's an easy choice for me.

Last year both my snowblower and my old Wheel Horse had problems where I had to keep the choke on to pull enough gas for them to run properly... but with the choke on, not as much air gets into the engine so it runs OK but doesn't make full power. Once in a while one or the other of those two would start to flood out when the carb broke loose a speck of rust or something and the gas started flowing again and I'd have to hurry and open the choke, at least most of the way... for a while. I'm just tired of fighting with something that I can completely replace. Tractors and such are very cool but I've got way too much on my plate for another hobby. I just want to cut my grass!

It seems that the Vanguard system is possibly somewhat more elaborate then the Walbro used on the Cubs. Vanguard uses a crankshaft position sensor and maybe one other that Walbro doesn't. Perhaps the Vanguard system is also tweaking the spark timing based on load, I don't know. But I'm happy with what I have - so far, and hopefully going forward.

bullrider

Threads
I can already see the light. Keep it coming and we will bring along the generations of carb enthusiasts with us. I am glad to hear "closed loop." It seems primitive to run a generator open loop ,especially in view of ? typical? high usage hours and emissions. My carburetted Intek 24 on the heavier Husqy uses a lot of gas !

Edit" My thread response 18 above on the "chunks of cost" was goofy on engine cost....H Frt is still selling its Predator @ $99 and , love it or hate it , that is a LOW number. Time for Trump "dumping police" to check that out.... but seriously, it may play a big role in the intro pricing, whatever.:smile:

I was surprised to learn someplace that there's a very well-known Honda engine (GX series I think) on which the patents have expired - so China Inc is cranking them out left and right. They're known for taking others' work and making it cheaper and selling it, just like with a sliding miter saw I bought which turned out to be an absolute clone of a Makita sliding miter saw that sells for about 3x the price. As for the GX engines, I assumed China had just pilfered the design and started making them, but at least if the patents had expired, that's not quite so heinous.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I was surprised to learn someplace that there's a very well-known Honda engine (GX series I think) on which the patents have expired - so China Inc is cranking them out left and right. They're known for taking others' work and making it cheaper and selling it, just like with a sliding miter saw I bought which turned out to be an absolute clone of a Makita sliding miter saw that sells for about 3x the price. As for the GX engines, I assumed China had just pilfered the design and started making them, but at least if the patents had expired, that's not quite so heinous.

We are suffering a bit of mission creep here but the "trick" China uses to avoid paying patient license fees is to manufacture to order.
So te factories do not have a product line as such, they make what some Western Business man send over with a note , "make me 500,000 just like this cheap "
Then in order to avoid prosecution or bad publicity retailers like Wally of HF get a local USA importer to place the order so HF, Wallys can lie and say "Most of what we sell is locally sourced" and when the Mikata factory closes down because of the imports they can say "not our fault "

bullrider

Threads
We are suffering a bit of mission creep here but the "trick" China uses to avoid paying patient license fees is to manufacture to order.
So te factories do not have a product line as such, they make what some Western Business man send over with a note , "make me 500,000 just like this cheap "
Then in order to avoid prosecution or bad publicity retailers like Wally of HF get a local USA importer to place the order so HF, Wallys can lie and say "Most of what we sell is locally sourced" and when the Mikata factory closes down because of the imports they can say "not our fault "

Still if you go to WM (or anywhere else, let's be fair) the products do say 'Made in China', whatever the claim of 'sourcing'.

Anyhow, back on the subject of the Cub Cadet and EFI, I think the biggest problem with it will prove to be fear of trying something different. Yes, you can fix a carburetor. (Probably.) Yes, you almost certainly will have to fix it. You may even end up buying a new one from... China!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
We need some time for owners to face any problems with the new Walbro efi. Seems like CC should make some thoughtful decisions about spare part availability and diy support....like the MIL fault codes (my tractor is winking at me), and a way to interpret them. " Oh , my mower has a problem in the oxy sensor wiring circuit" ... or "the TPS is not putting out a proper signal. Here let me just get my digital volt meter (DVM) and check it out."

Note this is no more baffling than an undiscovered plugged passageway in a carburettor.

Seems like someone should become the go-to EFI guru in Australia. Just get the capital together and become a CC dealer. :thumbsup:

bullrider

Threads
We need some time for owners to face any problems with the new Walbro efi. Seems like CC should make some thoughtful decisions about spare part availability and diy support....like the MIL fault codes (my tractor is winking at me), and a way to interpret them. " Oh , my mower has a problem in the oxy sensor wiring circuit" ... or "the TPS is not putting out a proper signal. Here let me just get my digital volt meter (DVM) and check it out."

Note this is no more baffling than an undiscovered plugged passageway in a carburettor.

Seems like someone should become the go-to EFI guru in Australia. Just get the capital together and become a CC dealer. :thumbsup:

Well... I think they've been selling the EFI single cylinder version in the CC tractors for two years now. An oxygen sensor is an oxygen sensor. There's really no new 'tech' involved here, just putting it on a new machine that didn't have it before. Other than one reference I saw to a plugged screen in a fuel line, I've not happened across anything negative about these tractors. The fact that they've expanded the models where EFI is available and now added it to another engine tells me it's been pretty successful so far.

CC indicates that their system has onboard diagnostics and I can't imagine any such digital control system not having something that says when it is not getting a required signal, or a signal that is out of the normal range. I would bet that the diagnostics read out through the hour meter if you know how to trigger them. Could be as simple as pressing the start button X number of times and then holding it for a few seconds.

Most of us can't fix our own EFI systems, I'll allow... but we also can't fix our own TV's anymore. We used to be able to do so by replacing 'tubes'. I'm just as glad to have a TV I can't fix myself, that basically never needs to be fixed anyhow.

edit - I take that back about not fixing EFI's. I've only had two problems with components, those both being easily replaced throttle position sensors, and I did them myself after getting the code indicating what was wrong. Imagine if you could get a code saying 'tiny bit of grit plugging carburetor passage' or 'inlet valve float sticking'. Not gonna happen. :)

Last edited:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Amen! Those reluctant ones here will enjoy working with EFI once they try it. The "industry" has gradually brain washed many to thinking they cannot understand or work on "electronics......" Bolderdash! Just have the interest and it will come. The little dash readout on the CC is perfect for blink codes. This forum is a sanctuary for diy'ers. Just jump the first hurdle. CC , are you listening?

bullrider

Threads
Amen! Those reluctant ones here will enjoy working with EFI once they try it. The "industry" has gradually brain washed many to thinking they cannot understand or work on "electronics......" Bolderdash! Just have the interest and it will come. The little dash readout on the CC is perfect for blink codes. This forum is a sanctuary for diy'ers. Just jump the first hurdle. CC , are you listening?

I may play with that hour meter a bit and see if I can get it to show the codes. I'm sure that's how they'd do it. No hardware needed, they could diagnose the system just by pressing the start button.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Going way back to the GM mil fault codes on my 1985 Pont....Grounding two pins initiates the blink codes. My 1991 Nissan has a little (cigar box sized) ECU with a plastic screw on the back which is turned one way to initiate the fault blink codes. Maybe something simple on the CC connector if you can find it?