RARE SIGHTINGS NEEDED! Anyone with XT1LT42, XT1LT46 or XT2LX42 ??

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / RARE SIGHTINGS NEEDED! Anyone with XT1LT42, XT1LT46 or XT2LX42 ??
HS, I think you may be right with the HP rating. CC hesitant to publish more HP on the FI and hurt the regular (carb) XT line.

Re ease of t-shooting FI I wish those who have voiced doubts would give examples of DIFFICULT problems. Here speaks an AMATEUR, not a pro by any means but a couple of examples I can think of which perhaps show fault codes are not always easy to "read."

The CA car "check engine" light is on and points to the EGR valve (it opens at low rpm to let exhaust into the intake manifold). The problem is finally traced to a plugged metal tube from the exhaust, not an electronic component, but the ECU set a fault code.

The OBD II hand held code reader says misfire, cylinder X. Could be a number of things. It is simply a bad plug.

Local tech in outdoor equipment story. A CC FI model comes in and will not run. (Could not talk to him much - tel con) Finally they find a plugged fuel pump. Unlikely any fault code set on this one, and the problem is not helped with a fault code.

On line...a commercial FI unit has a bad engine temp sensor, but no fault code is set. (So this leaves the problem up to general knowledge and tech skill.} It is suspected the engine is overheating so the temp sensor is replaced. The explanation was that the ECU could not "see" the overheat point which was out of expected overheat range. The engine would barely run until the ECU supplied a dummy heat input to the fuel system which would then improve the fuel mixture, but not fix it. This one sounds very difficult and could easily cause shotgunning.

Also the FI electronic systems demand 12V input and perfect ground connections, so batteries and charging systems must be good

Hope this will open up discussion for those holding back their favorite FI stories.

Last edited:

cruzenmike

Threads
I just spoke to a local dealer and he confirmed that the twin EFI with 42" deck is not available for order right now. Also, they have opted not to stock the SLX50 due to concerns regarding the new quick attach blade design (fear of liability).

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mike, Kinda makes one wonder if unavailability is only "sold out."

cruzenmike

Threads
Mike, Kinda makes one wonder if unavailability is only "sold out."

In searching for the 42" twin, one site listed it as being discontinued. That may go in line with what someone was saying about a change in engine manufacturers from a Chinese based firm to a Korean or Indonesian one. It's a shame that more people don't get onto YouTube and do reviews and overviews of all these machines. Even if the manufacturer would spend a little bit of time and money showing off each and every model and what it is capable of, I am sure it would clear up many consumer's questions and help to increase sales.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The "opportunity" in a very competitive field is to pull off an entry model with something "new." Information about source change is discouraging. Thanks for the info. So the single lives on?

Edit: Browsed the youtubes on CC EFI machines.

The single is the one reviewed by several after initial purchase. (a.) owner(s) talk about half throttle operation due to available power. (b) owner remarks on using very little gas . (c) the little screen is shown along with "bluetooth" availability to owner's manual. (d) vibration (as expected) at low rpm smoothes out during operation. This model is still offered.

Since Kohler produces the CC carb versions it would be interesting to know if they were consulted on the twin. One feature of throttle body is that it is easily adapted to existing intake manifolds (engines) . The Michigan site selling the FI emphasizes the relative ease adapting to engines. But how does substituting FI straight across affect an adopted engine? Heat comes to mind and increased torque/HP on exisiting piston, ring, rod, etc. Also leaner overall mixture. Sending the same design to different sources may not improve the breed? Wha' happen with the twin?

Last edited:

HS=LD

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I got the 547cc XT1 EFI all put together and fired 'er up a few days ago. The EFI is just flawless. You push the button and it starts. No dorkin' around with any chokes, etc. It starts at full throttle, half throttle or idle. I let it warm up for about a minute and I was off. The manual says to run at full power for mowing so that's what I did. There's plenty of power. I guess you could run it at less power but I don't know why you would. It's very torque-y and smooth. I got .6 of an hour on it and so far so good.

Really nothing to report other than an engine that just works with no fuss at all.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds good. Keep us posted!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boobala has just enlightened me on a fuel injection application. Vanguard uses so called "open loop" fuel injection on its line of engines powering generators (and others?) To me this means no oxy sensor and less ability to keep fuel mixture "perfect" like autos, but probably better than carburetors. Keep the comments coming and we will all advance from the "mushroom" state of darkness.

bullrider

Threads
I've just taken delivery of an XT1 42 with the 547cc EFI engine. As was previously noted, you push the button (for 1.5 seconds) and then the engine fires up. I assume the delay is to build up fuel pressure for the injection system.

The Walbro announcement of the Cub Cadet EFI system said that they had developed an EEM ("Electronic Engine Management") system for Cub. Here's the page which describes it, and it uses an oxygen sensor- which means the EFI is adjusting the mixture properly all the time. It's certainly a 'closed loop' system, not just something that sprays fuel into the intake port.

http://www.walbro.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Walbro_EEM_Injection_Mower_PS_EN.pdf

Carburetors are the most troublesome, trouble prone, finicky, unreliable things on small engines. I would no sooner want another lawn tractor with a carburetor than I'd want a car with one, which is to say 'never again'. And no more hokey governor with levers and springs and such to keep the engine speed steady under load! Another troublesome gimmick disposed of! Imagine, with an actual engine management system you use 25% less gas than with some old gizmo using tiny passages and bleed holes and metering screws and a little float working an inlet valve etc. etc. It goes to show how poor a job the old timey carburetor does at supplying the correct amount of fuel needed by the engine when the actual correct amount is so much less.

I've only uncrated my Cub in the last couple of days and run it a couple times yesterday to start breaking it in... but the engine starts up fine and runs perfectly. I am not the least bit concerned about the EFI. My choice for the same money was between the smaller EFI engine or the bigger V twin with a carburetor and I wouldn't change if I could do it over. It's going to be a few weeks before I need to do my first mowing and I'm looking forward to it.
FI.jpg

bullrider

Threads
Boobala has just enlightened me on a fuel injection application. Vanguard uses so called "open loop" fuel injection on its line of engines powering generators (and others?) To me this means no oxy sensor and less ability to keep fuel mixture "perfect" like autos, but probably better than carburetors. Keep the comments coming and we will all advance from the "mushroom" state of darkness.

Vanguard is now using a closed-loop system and claiming a 25% savings in fuel usage compared to the same engine with carburetion. They offer (or did offer) 810cc engines rated at 24 and 26hp; they rate their EFI version at 28hp.
Very interesting video here; watch it and see if you still prefer a carburetor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=123&v=9o4OtJ9hv7M

While Cub's system is Walbro and not identical to Vanguard, I'm confident it's comparable. They indicate that it also has onboard diagnostics, which seems to have been a concern of some people.

Last edited: