RARE SIGHTINGS NEEDED! Anyone with XT1LT42, XT1LT46 or XT2LX42 ??

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / RARE SIGHTINGS NEEDED! Anyone with XT1LT42, XT1LT46 or XT2LX42 ??
Any progress on your EFI thread start-up ???

bullrider

Threads
Any progress on your EFI thread start-up ???

No, I messaged the guy you told me about and haven't heard back yet. Didn't see a forum indicating it either so far. In the meantime I see numerous threads about carburetor problems. Hmm.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, I messaged the guy you told me about and haven't heard back yet. Didn't see a forum indicating it either so far. In the meantime I see numerous threads about carburetor problems. Hmm.

The carburetor problems will all be ELIMINATED... they, AND fuel-injection will fall by the wayside, as soon as I finish developing my Hyper-Bolically-Pro-framminstatin 1 drop of Candle-wax powered, fuel delivery system !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:

bullrider

Threads
While talking to the guy behind the counter where they're putting a new engine in my Cub I asked the guy what their experience has been with the fuel injected engines. He said they didn't have a lot of experience on the particular one in my Cub but that they're in quite a number of tractors nowadays and they're fine - no problems. Sounds like the only thing the carburetor guys have to fear is fear itself.

txzrider2

Threads
Well - if that guy's bike has a serious carb problem then so has every last one of my motorcycles - all of the carbureted ones - prior to my Sportster. Yet once I finally convinced them to start and run, they were pretty much OK after that. But the first time of the season? They weren't interested in the idea of running.
I wonder if part of the EFI's charm is that it works with PRESSURE and not mere gravity and the suction of air moving past holes? Which can get plugged a lot more easily than a system where the fuel is pressurized up to where it's released?
I'll certainly allow that fuel injection systems seem to like having something good run through them occasionally, Techron or SeaFoam or StarTron or something to keep them tidy.
My Lexus V6 (2005 ES with 3.5) sits all winter in my garage and starts at the turn of a key. I remember the old Kaw Z1-R's, I think the first ones came out with EFI back in '79 or '80? And I'm not positive but I think those MAY have had some issues. But hey, that was 38 years ago.

Ok so I am just going to throw this out there... the EFI's charm is only 1 thing... the fact that sooner or later, the government is going to crack down on emissions in this space and the only way to get there will be EFI! Putting it on mowers now and getting the costs amortized is a way to get the word out there, learn from any mistakes and amortize costs. While getting buyers to pay for some of that. Same thing with latest safety features in cars like lane changing and auto braking for you. That is all going to be required soon... so the car companies want to sell it as bleeding edge options while they work out the bugs and get us to pay for it.

Just my 2 cents! (fyi I am looking forward when I can either by a $200 addon fi system or buy one of these motors from smallenginewarehouse for say $800 instead of $600 for the carb'ed version.)

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Charm it is, but one feature of agri engines which may hold back enthusiasm is that they are mostly asked to run steady state. In the 80's I had run a little Brit car with a 1600 dohc (advanced at the time) with 2 side draft Weber carburetors . At the time they were touted to "almost simulate fuel injection" with their wide range of inlet "chokes," jets, emulsion tubes, and precision build. The Bosch "mechanical" FI (VW)was only a little better. Then came a ride in a 1985 Pontiac Fiero with electronic port FI (primitive by today's standards) riding the workhorse 2.8 V6. A revelation in throttle response!! The Webers could not touch this system. Point is that lawn mowers run steady and kind of bypass this "charm." So many are content with carbs, and the mfgrs are already tooled and have made carbs mostly acceptable. But the CC FI models are a warning shot. And "silence" at the repair shops is a good sign.

bullrider

Threads
Charm it is, but one feature of agri engines which may hold back enthusiasm is that they are mostly asked to run steady state. In the 80's I had run a little Brit car with a 1600 dohc (advanced at the time) with 2 side draft Weber carburetors . At the time they were touted to "almost simulate fuel injection" with their wide range of inlet "chokes," jets, emulsion tubes, and precision build. The Bosch "mechanical" FI (VW)was only a little better. Then came a ride in a 1985 Pontiac Fiero with electronic port FI (primitive by today's standards) riding the workhorse 2.8 V6. A revelation in throttle response!! The Webers could not touch this system. Point is that lawn mowers run steady and kind of bypass this "charm." So many are content with carbs, and the mfgrs are already tooled and have made carbs mostly acceptable. But the CC FI models are a warning shot. And "silence" at the repair shops is a good sign.

Mowers etc. run fairly steady state but they still have changes in load and they operate in different temperatures and such. That's where EFI is a good thing compared to a carburetor because everything is pressurized and controlled based on the results of the settings moment by moment, instead of 'it should draw in enough gas to run OK based on air rushing past a pipe with a hole in it dribbling gasoline'. The old mechanical FI was really stone-aged as it didn't use any 'feedback' from the engine to adjust anything. I think my first vehicle with EFI was a 1986 Ford "LTD II" (basically a very glorified Ford Fairmont) a which I bought well-used and it was a DREAM to drive compared to a Ford Ranger I had from three years before which NEVER ran right. It ran rough, was hard to start, wouldn't idle or else it tried to idle at 1500 rpms all the time, it was terrible. The LTD II with EFI, you turned the key and it started, and ran perfectly. At 100 degrees or minus ten.

Really, EFI is bound to take over for nearly all small engine equipment (other than weed wackers and some push mowers) because it's not that complicated, makes the engines run better, use less fuel AND make cleaner exhaust. And yeah, it's a good sign that there doesn't seem to be any common issues with the EFI systems. After all, it's NOT a new idea, in fact it's a simplified implementation of an idea that's been in used for decades with complete success.

The two most commonly used words in this whole forum are, I think, "carburetor problem".

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agree, but so far you, I, and few others are a small club here. Will the dealers remain like the Maytag repair man.....bored and lonely?:smile:

bullrider

Threads
Agree, but so far you, I, and few others are a small club here. Will the dealers remain like the Maytag repair man.....bored and lonely?:smile:

No, they'll always have work but there won't be near as many 'won't start, surges, won't idle' issues to fix.
I could have bought the V twin version of my tractor with a carburetor for the price I paid for the single with EFI, and despite the first engine failing (at 2.4 hours, obviously a major defect) I wouldn't do it over and buy the carbed engine.

bullrider

Threads
No, they'll always have work but there won't be near as many 'won't start, surges, won't idle' issues to fix.
I could have bought the V twin version of my tractor with a carburetor for the price I paid for the single with EFI, and despite the first engine failing (at 2.4 hours, obviously a major defect) I wouldn't do it over and buy the carbed engine.
And now I have my tractor back with an engine that isn't making a death rattle from the get go and it's perfect.
It puzzles me though, don't they even start these engines one time before shipping the tractor to the customer? From the start I heard a very obvious noise which turned out to be either a wristpin or rod bearing failing. Just starting the engine, someone who did so for a living to give them a quick test could not have missed that sound and would have flagged that first engine as obviously defective.