Old MTD Riding Mower

Sandro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there,
I am new to the forum. I understand one has to post some presentation.
My name is Sandro, I am an old man living in northern Italy. Hobbies: Sailing, mountain trekking, gardening, mechanics.

As I'm getting old, two years ago I wanted a riding mower instead of running after the usual type mower.
After a long useless searching - I did not want a new one - , a cousin of mine gave me for free an old MTD Columbia model 139-525A, serial N. 3301528626 B050A. As he did not accept any money, I returned the favour with a good stock of wine bottles.
Here is a picture.
View attachment 31935
I like its being all metal, only very little plastic. I would like to know the making year, if someone can discover it from the S.N.

It had been inactive for decades. Before attempt to start the B&S motor, I did some checks: Overall inspection. Removed flywheel, cleaned and adjusted gap of magneto points. Renewed air filter sponge. Cleaned carburator. Removed and inside washed fuel tank. Checked engine oil.
Fitted a temporary big car battery behind the driver seat.
Started motor: It runs!
Adjusted idling speed on carb and on governor. Replaced switch and wiring of the front lights.
Tried cutting: OK. After a short while the ancient blade belt gave up, as could be expected. I renewed it with a standard one that lasted very little time and then with a special one that is still working.

After one season of satisfactory working i bought a battery of the correct dimensions and fitted it in its place, discarding the big battery that did not allow using the grass catcher. I stitched the seat cushion cuts and stitched with wire thread the grass catcher, worn by ground friction.

To substitute for the wheel barrow, I made an attachment that holds a 15 gallons plastic bin hanged to the grass catcher's pivots. If someone is interested i can shoot and post a few photos.
Another attachment is in project. I'll report when it's finished.

Happy mowing to all

Sandro

Sandro

Forum Newbie
Threads
As I promised two years ago I enclose a picture of the attachment to my MTD Columbia riding mower mentioned in a previous post.

Then I also made two side brackets for carrying long objects, the rear one fixed to the previous attachment and the front one to a crossbar.
The brackets can be removed simply by pulling out pins. Only the cross bar remains permanently fixed but does not protrude laterally more than the right front wheel. Here is the picture.

If anyone is interested I’ll eagerly post drawings of the things (I don’t know how to call them in English). Of course for a different model of riding mower or small tractor some changes must be made
The next project is a bracket for an hitch but before that I have two problems on my hands to solve.

1) The grommet connecting fuel tap and tank started leaking. I wonder if I’ll find a replace. If not I have to find a tap with flange,gasket, male thread and nut. (and hopefully a filter). It shuld be possible to fit the nut from inside the tank with long pliers. Beside that, the actual fuel tap, with vibrations, sometimes little by little shuts starving and stopping the motor.
2) The contacts in the key-switch for starting and stopping the motor work only randomly. If I don’t find the replacement key-switch, I’ll replace it with respectively a pushbutton (with guard) and a toggle switch.

I’ll report on the outcomings.

Regards and happy mowing to all

Sandro

Sandro

Forum Newbie
Threads
P.S.
I don't know why une picture is large and the other must be enlarged.
Sandro

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the engine looks original, the date will be the first 2 digits of the "code" number. Otherwise, it looks to be early 1970s {just a guess}.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
That's a good looking lawn mower Sir!
The less plastic on a machine the better!:thumbsup:

NorthBama

Threads
Nice machine looks well taken care of thanks for sharing the photos
La ringrazio