Adapting a Trimmer or Pole saw unit to a power broom ?

PaulR

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Adapting a Trimmer or Pole saw unit to a power broom ?
Hi everyone,
First look, first post, Google brought me here.
I've got an FS 110R string trimmer as well as a year old homeowner model pole saw (don't have model # on me right now).

The pro at my local equipment store said it is possible to put a power broom (plastic flapper unit) on a lot of these trimmer units.
I've seen one video online of a Stihl FS130 I believe, but no advice/instruction with it.
Tips/tricks/threads/advice/success stories welcome, thanks.

Paul R

PaulR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Done.
My local Stihl store also confirmed it. The kids who just started working there had no clue, but the parts guy out back said "sure you can".
Rendering the Kombi system pretty much useless and a big waste of money.
I thought of making a YouTube video and running with it but don't really want Stihl Corporate suing me for millions so I will keep our dirty little secret right here on this little internet forum where 14 people have read my post.
Plus, I like all my Stihl products and I like their company model of staying out of big boxes.

Stihl FS 110 R straight shaft trimmer ----> unbolt the 2 Torx bolts that hold the trimmer head on. ----->unbolt 2 torx bolts on the KW-KM broom shaft ----> flip it over and bolt to trimmer shaft....done.
You now have a powerbroom.
Sucker really throws well with the 110 motor on there too!

No need to spend and extra $350 on a Kombi powerhead.
:licking:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry to " break your bubble " about Stihl in Big Box Stores ... My Local ( Rural King ) is LOADED with Stihl products ...

PaulR

Forum Newbie
Threads
LOL, what the heck is Rural King?
100 stores in 12 states. pshhh.
I'm from the Northeast, never heard of one. :smile:

I meant the really real big boxes, the orange one (2274 stores) and the blue one (1840 stores).

Then again, my locally owned ACE has 4700 "outlet" stores so I guess I'll burst my own bubble. :confused2:

javjacob

Threads
They have to be a certified Stihl dealer to sell Stihl products. Stihl is top of the line. Stihl, Honda and John Deere are the only 3 lawn product manufactures who still make high quality equipment... as long as you buy commercial/professional grade of course.

PaulR

Forum Newbie
Threads
You mean to say "(high) quality to the mass consumer market"

Jonsered, Husqvarna, Skag, Gravely, and Toro are names that aren't really too bad either. :cool:

javjacob

Threads
I think they are also the only 3 that have been around forever that haven't been bought out. Cub Cadet used to be top notch quality until they sold out to MTD.

Toro I don't think has ever been bought out but they have bought Wheel Horse and Lawn Boy and they are no better today than a mini MTD/AYP manufacture.
I sure wouldn't call Husqvarna or Jonsered quality as of 2017. Standards of quality has dropped so much in the last 20 years people think something that is decent is quality.

upupandaway

Threads
Done.

Stihl FS 110 R straight shaft trimmer ----> unbolt the 2 Torx bolts that hold the trimmer head on. ----->unbolt 2 torx bolts on the KW-KM broom shaft ----> flip it over and bolt to trimmer shaft....done.
You now have a powerbroom.
Sucker really throws well with the 110 motor on there too!
:licking:

The Stihl website even states the replacement heads. Look under Products- Accessories - trimmers and brushcutters
Being current shafts fit trimmers back to the 70's, it is bound to fit. It is only remove a few screws but i think they have a video also...

For others - yes, its a shame- the ariens push mower i have from the 80's is built like a tank (similar to snappers), not like their current stuff.