John Deere 235GT not engaging Power Take Off clutch.

bdt360

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere 235GT not engaging Power Take Off clutch.
Used this site to further my search for a possible solution to my problem. I found a Youtube video that stated that if all safety interlocks are operational then the PTO switch more than likely bad, and a post here saying that if you have 12vdc at the power take off clutch then the clutch is bad. So I went to work and had a multi meter and first checked the switch, it checked out good but the molex connector and electrical contacts were contaminated with debris/grease so I cleaned them up with a degreaser and plugged it back in but still the PTO clutch would not engage, went to the molex connector to the PTO and checked to see if I had 12vdc at the connector I did, but that connector was contaminated as well, cleaned it as well, I took my meter and ohm the PTO coil and got around 3 ohms which said that it wasn't open or grounded, didn't know what the resistance should have been but it seemed right, when I connected the connector back and tried the PTO switch again it worked, the connector to the PTO was the issue which was strange to me because it was working with my snow thrower all winter. Glad it is working now and my well maintenanced mower deck worked flawlessly and expect to have a trouble free mowing season. Hope this helps someone in similar circumstances.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Used this site to further my search for a possible solution to my problem. I found a Youtube video that stated that if all safety interlocks are operational then the PTO switch more than likely bad, and a post here saying that if you have 12vdc at the power take off clutch then the clutch is bad. So I went to work and had a multi meter and first checked the switch, it checked out good but the molex connector and electrical contacts were contaminated with debris/grease so I cleaned them up with a degreaser and plugged it back in but still the PTO clutch would not engage, went to the molex connector to the PTO and checked to see if I had 12vdc at the connector I did, but that connector was contaminated as well, cleaned it as well, I took my meter and ohm the PTO coil and got around 3 ohms which said that it wasn't open or grounded, didn't know what the resistance should have been but it seemed right, when I connected the connector back and tried the PTO switch again it worked, the connector to the PTO was the issue which was strange to me because it was working with my snow thrower all winter. Glad it is working now and my well maintenanced mower deck worked flawlessly and expect to have a trouble free mowing season. Hope this helps someone in similar circumstances.

Good to hear you have it running.
All the switches are a touch on the crude side to say the least and the PTO switch passes 3 to 5 amps through it every second the PTO is engaged thus the contacts eventually burn.
If you are snow blowing then the switch & all the connectors get wet and thus corrode and it does not take much corrosion to prevent a circuit happening.
You might like to get some contact grease and apply it to all the moles connectors then rejoin tem to try & keep the moisture out of them.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

We love success stories :smile: Happy mowing!

WVSNAPPER

Threads
Welcome to the forum from Northwestern West Virginia. Glad you're here.