Brand new Hustler doesn't mow half as well as 20 year old Craftsman. Please help

Chvysb350

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Brand new Hustler doesn't mow half as well as 20 year old Craftsman. Please help
Hello, I run a handyman business. Recently business has slowed, but I get a lot of calls for mowing. So I decided to get my feet wet and bought an inexpensive Hustler Raptor. For my own yard I was using a 20 year old Craftsman 17hp with 46" deck...it mowed perfectly,loved it so much I airbrushed the old flying tiger mouth on it...that won't fly in the business world.
Anyway, the Hustler just isn't cutting the grass. I did 2 acres last week. It took 4 hours, because I had to hit each pass 3 to 4 times. The blades are sharp. The mower isn't bogging down. It did have a mulch kit, which I would like to keep, but took off for expiremental purposes. Didn't help it cut better. Have tried cutting the first pass high, second pass lower, doesn't help. It always leaves a bunch of 12 inch tall spindly stuff behind, while the Craftsman doesn't.
Anyone have any suggestions? My fear is that the fabricated deck, that drew me to the mower, is not making enough vacuum. I have high lift blades on the way, but at this point I have lost faith in the mower. Or at least my ability to pick the right mower for the application. It moves my Bermuda grass yard beautifully. Unfortunately, most of my customers with big yards, have native grasses and weeds.
Thank you ahead of time

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Brand new Hustler doesn't mow half as well as 20 year old Craftsman. Please help
Try asking the local lawn service guys what they recommend .. or even the local mower shops should know what blades they're customers ( Lawn-Service) use .. it appears to be a blade selection issue if it cuts your own lawn to your satisfaction..:confused2:

sidemouse

Threads
Maybe look underneath and find out what type of blades it sports and then...
If it has mulching blades try some high lifts.
If it has high lifts try some mulching blades.

On another note and for comparison purposes it takes me about 45 minutes for one acre with a 60" Ztr, I usually keep the speed down to around 4-8 mph and that's double cutting (2x pass) everything.
I only use high lift blades.

Chvysb350

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe look underneath and find out what type of blades it sports and then...
If it has mulching blades try some high lifts.
If it has high lifts try some mulching blades.

On another note and for comparison purposes it takes me about 45 minutes for one acre with a 60" Ztr, I usually keep the speed down to around 4-8 mph and that's double cutting (2x pass) everything.
I only use high lift blades.

Thanks for the information. I bought a couple sets of Oregon high lift blades. They helped tremendously! To the point that now I am wishing for more ground speed. I think they advertise it at 7 mph, maybe it does it...maybe.
I bought a seat suspension kit last week, to soak up the bumps, well worth the $150. A lot of the areas that I am mowing are pretty rough ground.

droberts16

Forum Newbie
Threads
Several variables you didn't mention, I'm assuming the grass you're cutting is fairly high. You said it's mostly native grass and weeds, many of which have some pretty tough stems. Could be an issue with the wrong kind of blades but I suspect you might be trying to mow to fast in the tall stuff and it's pushing it over instead of cleanly cutting it off. I've mowed some pretty tall stuff with my Lazer Z and the first pass or two has to be pretty slow to give it time to stand back up under the deck. Next pass mowing lower reverse direction and mow against the direction of the first pass. Talk to your dealer and explain the problems you're having. I tend to think is not the mower but the technique. Once you get it down to the proper height it will be a lot easier or maintain after that.