speed feed 450 for Stihl FS 90

winston61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello to all. I need help installing a speed feed 450 on my Stihl FS 90. I have the head itself. Which adapters do I need to attach this to the FS 90? I do have the gold, silver and green threaded adapters and the black spacer. I cannot get any of these to work. Do I need to replace the threaded stud in the gear housing? Do I use the black plastic spacer? Can anyone suggest something? The local dealer techs just look at me like I have two heads. Useless. Thanks to all.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello to all. I need help installing a speed feed 450 on my Stihl FS 90. I have the head itself. Which adapters do I need to attach this to the FS 90? I do have the gold, silver and green threaded adapters and the black spacer. I cannot get any of these to work. Do I need to replace the threaded stud in the gear housing? Do I use the black plastic spacer? Can anyone suggest something? The local dealer techs just look at me like I have two heads. Useless. Thanks to all.

Watch the video in this link... do NOT..OVERTIGHTEN threaded adapters !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNupuo5ss4k

winston61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Watch the video in this link... do NOT..OVERTIGHTEN threaded adapters !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNupuo5ss4k

A very good video, but still no idea why this thing won't work with my FS 90. I called Stihl tech support, they won't help with aftermarket. I called Echo twice and was given incorrect information both times. And they market the damned thing! I am ready to conclude that my trimmer just will not work with this trimmer head. Not a big deal, but they should stop claiming that it is universal when it clearly is not.

winston61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got an answer back from Echo Tech Support. The 450 cannot be made to fit an FS 90. Oh well.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Got an answer back from Echo Tech Support. The 450 cannot be made to fit an FS 90. Oh well.

THEY LIED ... I have one on my FS-90R .. I tried ...UN-successfully to locate my old instruction sheet that came with it
( wheres yours ??) but as of yet have NOT found it ... it's really quite simple though... IF I find it I will post it .. meantime check other videos on youtube ... maybe one you will better understand ...

FOUND it ... it's says the 400 model but they're the same mounting ..

....http://www.echo-usa.com/getattachment/cf3f699a-5fd7-4850-a173-0dd32dff865f/99944200907esf_040913.pdf

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With that sort of stuff you are better off going aftermarket,
Rotary, Oregon , Stens, Prime line etc.
They usually have better fitting instructions and a better set of adapters.
FWIW I was going to buy 1 of each adapter for stock so when a customer comes in with a head they bought that does not fit , I could do it.
There are around 300 of the buggers.

Trimmer heads determine how much load gets put on the machine so the factories use different fittings for different strength machines to avoid people putting head on that is so bit it breaks the drive shaft or clutch then taking the trimmer back for a warranty repair ( happens all the time )
I get trimmers in here running chord 3 times the maximum size for the machine and the owners can not understand they have killed their own trimmer by doing that.

winston61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Solved:Re: speed feed 450 for Stihl FS 90

I stopped by my local Stihl store yesterday and looked at replacement trimmer heads. Suffering from both arthritis and carpel tunnel I needed something easier to work with. I was shown a new product(I think it's new) called the AutoCut C26-2. It is Stihls version of the speed feed. The design and build quality of this item is a universe away from the speed feed. The weight and obvious design improvements made me happy that I could not use the speed feed. Compared to the Stihl design, the speed feed seems cheap and flimsy. I have not used it yet, but when I do I will report back. No adapters, no washers, just take it out of the pack and attach it to the trimmer. It cost $34.00 USD plus state and local sales tax. Thanks to Stihl.

winston61

Forum Newbie
Threads
THEY LIED ... I have one on my FS-90R .. I tried ...UN-successfully to locate my old instruction sheet that came with it
( wheres yours ??) but as of yet have NOT found it ... it's really quite simple though... IF I find it I will post it .. meantime check other videos on youtube ... maybe one you will better understand ...

FOUND it ... it's says the 400 model but they're the same mounting ..

....http://www.echo-usa.com/getattachment/cf3f699a-5fd7-4850-a173-0dd32dff865f/99944200907esf_040913.pdf

Echo's reply to my question was to say that the 400 is a universal mount, while the 450 will only mount to Echo trimmers.