Aftermarket Engines

Ckevg1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a used Troy Bilt LTX 1842. Model 13ap609g063. The previous owner replaced it with the 14hp Briggs, instead of the 18hp 2 years ago. So it was still a decent buy at $200. It's a little underpowered on inclines. If I decide to drop another motor in at the end of the season, what are my oprions? I have a engine in my broken down MTD mower that's good, it's an 18.5hp(?) V Twin Briggs. Any good aftermarket replacement engines at decent prices out there?

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I bought a used Troy Bilt LTX 1842. Model 13ap609g063. The previous owner replaced it with the 14hp Briggs, instead of the 18hp 2 years ago. So it was still a decent buy at $200. It's a little underpowered on inclines. If I decide to drop another motor in at the end of the season, what are my oprions? I have a engine in my broken down MTD mower that's good, it's an 18.5hp(?) V Twin Briggs. Any good aftermarket replacement engines at decent prices out there?

Why spend the money when you have another eng. sitting there ..?? Use the available engine, put the money away
(spend a few bucks to "freshen -up" the 18.5 ( tune-up, filters, fuel lines, etc. ) ) and run it until it gets tired ... THEN think about replacement... even so you will still have the 14 HP to deal with ( maybe sell and add to your nest-egg !! )

Ckevg1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Why spend the money when you have another eng. sitting there ..?? Use the available engine, put the money away
(spend a few bucks to "freshen -up" the 18.5 ( tune-up, filters, fuel lines, etc. ) ) and run it until it gets tired ... THEN think about replacement... even so you will still have the 14 HP to deal with ( maybe sell and add to your nest-egg !! )

LOL! I guess I didn't make myself clear. That was part two of my question, would the 18.5 fit. It looks like it will. Looks like they are the same frame. The deck and frame rusted out on my old one. The engine was strong last year though. Looks like I need to do more wrenching and less typing and get that engine out, and do a once over like you said.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
LOL! I guess I didn't make myself clear. That was part two of my question, would the 18.5 fit. It looks like it will. Looks like they are the same frame. The deck and frame rusted out on my old one. The engine was strong last year though. Looks like I need to do more wrenching and less typing and get that engine out, and do a once over like you said.

It depends upon the hood.
Some will need to be cut away a bit to prevent fouling on the engine.
The bolt mount spacings are different on the V twin so you will have to drill some new holes.
So you can measuer out , draw up then make a cardboard template from the drawings on either Briggs web page but I find the drawings easier to find on Small Engine Warehouse or Small Engine Suppliers web pages .
Or go the lazy way ( like me ) and place the new engine so that the pulley is in the same place ( thus uses the same belts ) then mark the position of the MOWERS bolt holes on the new engine.
Thus when you take the motor out you can see how far away the new holes need to be and then decide if you will use any of the old holes.

Ckevg1

Forum Newbie
Threads
It depends upon the hood.
Some will need to be cut away a bit to prevent fouling on the engine.
The bolt mount spacings are different on the V twin so you will have to drill some new holes.
So you can measuer out , draw up then make a cardboard template from the drawings on either Briggs web page but I find the drawings easier to find on Small Engine Warehouse or Small Engine Suppliers web pages .
Or go the lazy way ( like me ) and place the new engine so that the pulley is in the same place ( thus uses the same belts ) then mark the position of the MOWERS bolt holes on the new engine.
Thus when you take the motor out you can see how far away the new holes need to be and then decide if you will use any of the old holes.

Thanks for the info!! I might do it sooner than later, so I can trash the rest of the mower and get it out of the way.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the info!! I might do it sooner than later, so I can trash the rest of the mower and get it out of the way.

If you are going to trash the old mower use the mounting plate from it to position the holes for the replacement engine.
If the new holes are going to be very close to the old holes you can bolt the old mounting plate UNDER the the mouting plate for the current mower as a stiffening plate.