Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mower
    Toro

Re: Suggestion Box: How can we make this site better?

After a frustrating week a suggestion that has been brought up many times is to have a sticky that will be forced on every new member before they are allowed to post which would include the following.
    If you want help from the technicians on this forum, please be sure to include the following:
    1. Make sure that you have included the model and serial numbers for the unit.
    2. Make sure that you have included the model, type, spec, code numbers for the engine.
    3. If you are or are not mechanically inclined.
    4. If it is an electrical problem, are you electrically inclined and what test tools do you have.
    5. If you don't know a part name, a picture is better than that black thing under the dash.
    6. Please do not tell the techs that their replies can't be possible. Yes we can make mistakes, but we have years of experience and are not there looking at the unit. We can only go by what is posted and if you don't like it, just don't follow it.
    7. Please have patience, the dealers and service techs who try to help are very busy at most times of the year and we may not be able to reply for a day or two. We do this because we want to help people, but for personal gain.

Trying to help becomes way more difficult and frustrating when the info provided is not enough or confusing to make a good response.
    This is only my opinion, and many will say it ain't worth a darn, as I'm only a retired grease monkey instructor and not a professional mechanic. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.

Mower
    Victa slashers & Push , Rover Rancher II's, Cox ( several ) & White LT120 + GT 200

Quote Originally Posted by Rivets View Post
    After a frustrating week a suggestion that has been brought up many times is to have a sticky that will be forced on every new member before they are allowed to post which would include the following.
    If you want help from the technicians on this forum, please be sure to include the following:
    1. Make sure that you have included the model and serial numbers for the unit.
    2. Make sure that you have included the model, type, spec, code numbers for the engine.
    3. If you are or are not mechanically inclined.
    4. If it is an electrical problem, are you electrically inclined and what test tools do you have.
    5. If you don't know a part name, a picture is better than that black thing under the dash.
    6. Please do not tell the techs that their replies can't be possible. Yes we can make mistakes, but we have years of experience and are not there looking at the unit. We can only go by what is posted and if you don't like it, just don't follow it.
    7. Please have patience, the dealers and service techs who try to help are very busy at most times of the year and we may not be able to reply for a day or two. We do this because we want to help people, but for personal gain.

Trying to help becomes way more difficult and frustrating when the info provided is not enough or confusing to make a good response.
    Adding to this would be moving the Welcome & Anyone emojies onto the main reply page.
    First it makes it easier for us to be "friendly" and second is a note added to the suggested sticky above " if you have not had a reply after a week, please reply using the ANYONE emojie on the right to refresh your post"

Now as to formatting. the "new post" button needs to stand out more on the page so people can find it easily .
    A "new post " button need to go next to the "reply" button called "similar problem" thus reduce the number of people adding new problems to old posts.

In the bigger picture you could even consider a form to be filled in as the initial post.
    Thus the poster would be asked "nature of post" drop down menu - product comparison- new purchase suggestions - broken equipment -unable to repair - introduce myself etc etc etc
    Brand of equipment ( automatically sends it the correct section ) & ( become part of the title )
    Model or model number ( become part of the title )
    Type of problem ( drop down menu - runs bad / wont start/ parts dont fit / cant find model number , won't move properly ,etc etc ) these then become the rest of the title
    Description of problem ( becomes text body) with a sub title "My problem is "
    What you have done ( also becomes body of text ) in a new paragraph with the sub title "What I have tried so far"
    Machine details ( engine make / model number DOM etc which goes into a footer)
    From the answers the server would generate the post and also do a search based on the answers to the questions.
    The OP then gets the option to make their post now or read the similar problems posts ans submit post latter via a button " no luck ask the members" which then submits the original post.

1,000 Post Club
    Mower
    Murray Select 21 H.P. 46" ( 2004 )

Rivets AND BERT ....

My mower has flat tire and wont start ...it worked last year until the rope broke , what could be wrong ?

.. ... ... ... ... ... ... Won't ya's miss those statements ..??

SORRY fellas ,... your ideas REALLY are good .. and would ease a LOT of frustration AND wasted time and
    EMOTIONS !!! ...I 'm not going to cry over it .. thinking our wishes will fall on deaf ears ..SO ... we just HAVE
    to laugh at the idea of these things we think of ... wind-up in the rust-bucket of forgotten dreams !!

Mower : Murray Select 46 " deck
    Model : 465306X8A
    Serial # : 733781D027
    Date of Mfg. : 2003/12/03

Engine : Briggs & Stratton
    I/C V Twin
    21 H.P.
    Model : 4045A7
    Type : 0211 E1
    Code : 031104YG
    Family YBSXS . 7242VF 22844

Mower
    Toro

From what you posted, my guess is operator error. Time to get a new mower, if you have one with a rope start and Pnuematic tires. It has served you well.
    This is only my opinion, and many will say it ain't worth a darn, as I'm only a retired grease monkey instructor and not a professional mechanic. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.

Mower
    Toro Z

It would be great if the posts by Rivets & Bert were taken seriously.
    Buddy aka: Numbers

1,000 Post Club
    Mower
    Murray Select 21 H.P. 46" ( 2004 )

This is what Rivets posted in an earlier posting ...

..................RIVETS SUGGESTION.JPG

and this is what I "snipped" from it..

..................INSERT.JPG

If you get an inquiry and need further info. ....you can insert this using the insert image feature on the posting page ...

Mower : Murray Select 46 " deck
    Model : 465306X8A
    Serial # : 733781D027
    Date of Mfg. : 2003/12/03

Engine : Briggs & Stratton
    I/C V Twin
    21 H.P.
    Model : 4045A7
    Type : 0211 E1
    Code : 031104YG
    Family YBSXS . 7242VF 22844