Brand new Briggs 24HP Intek engine surges / lopes without PTO engaged

papadad

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Brand new Briggs 24HP Intek engine surges / lopes without PTO engaged
Brand new mower with Briggs 24 HP INTEX engine.

I am having an issue using the mower being able to idle properly. It idles like crap. It revs up and then stalls, revs up and stalls. Engine is brand new, less than 1 hour use.

When just using the tractor at normal throttle, lets say to drive down the lawn before starting to cut, the engine RPM revs up and then engine cuts off momentarily (as if being governed or artificially stalled) to slow the engine speed, then revs up again...then slows again... It keeps doing this even after running for a while. The best way I can describe this is as if it is getting proper fuel and then fuel is cut off..then fuel is turned on ...then fuel is cut off. What this amounts to is a bad sounding idle, and a mower that is unusable because it surges and slows (causing it to jerk ) versus runs smoothly. It exhibits this same behavior regardless of throttle position but does not do this when it is under a load (when PTO engaged, for example). I can get it to stop doing this when on FULL CHOKE but then of course the engine runs too rich after 15 seconds or so. So, under light or no load, runs like crap. Under load, as when engaging the PTO/blades on the deck, and everything is spinning, the engine RPM runs up and holds where it needs to hold and the motor runs just fine and does not have same RPM up and down surge/stall issue.

I'm guess a slow-idle issue with the slow jet or perhaps an adjustment somewhere. Where do I begin? Is there a shop manual online for this engine and carburetor?

The mower has less than 1 hour on it. it is brand new. Husquvarna with Briggs and Stratton motor.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Brand new Briggs 24HP Intek engine surges / lopes without PTO engaged
Being that new, you may be better off letting the dealer have a crack at it. It sounds like you have a carb issue but may be something wrong with the carb, and could possibly get Briggs to take care of it. Carb and fuel issues are not normally something that is covered but being that new it is possible.