Unusual problem with John Deere 115

rdd1952

Forum Newbie
Threads
My problem is strange and I've not been able to find anything on the internet. The mower is older but still runs well until late last year. If I'm cutting/driving on level ground, on a slope where the left side of the mower is lower or turning hard right, the mower still runs/cuts fine.

The problem is that if I am turning hard left (as in cutting around trees/shrubs) or on a slope where the right side is lower than the left, it starts to sputter and eventually chokes down unless I disengage the mower and slow the engine to an idle. Since the 2 yards I cut (mine and my parent's house) have a decent slope on them, this means that cutting on the slope with the right side lower happens a good portion of the time and it has added about 50% extra to my cutting time.

I have drained the carburetor, fuel line and fuel tank so I know it's not an issue with something in the fuel system. The nearest authorized Deere dealer and repair shops are close to an hour drive from me and I have no way to take it to them to look at so I'm kind of stuck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Possibly a float height that is too high allowing fuel to be drawn through an internal vent when the fuel is moved to that right side of the carb.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Be very careful mowing across slopes.
The oil pump is on the left on most engines and if the oil level is a little low it can end up pumping air.
Next time you are in that spot, check the the position of the fuel outlet and the carb.
It works both ways .
One way you are sucking air through the fuel lines & the other way you are flooding the carb.
In the long run it might be a lot quicker to take a line trimmer with you , hop off and do a trim around the trees or do a run around each with a walk behind.

rdd1952

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning toward it being a float issue. The oil is on the right side so if that's the issue, it's getting too much oil when it's lower on the right rather too little.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I leaning towards a wire that is contacting ground when you turn to left. If nothing else pans out start checking wires touching the frame for bare spots.