Tire Pressure and Ride Comfort

Sweats

Threads
If this issue has come up here before, I've missed it, and I apologize for being redundant. While researching ZTR's, I encountered several instances of complaints about the ride quality of brand new mowers, and subsequent responses asking whether the complainant had checked the tire pressure before operating. So when my mower arrived, I check the tire pressure. First though, I looked at the manual; it listed the front casters and drive tires at 25 PSI and 12 PSI, respectively. The drive tire PSI was also listed on stickers on each rear rim. I was a little surprised then when the actual pressures were 30/front, and 28/drive. I was going to compare the differences of the ride at those pressures to the ride at the recommended pressures until I saw that the max PSI listed on the drive tires' sidewalls read 20 PSI, or 8 PSI less than what was actually in the tires. Instead, I adjusted the pressures and got to mowing. So unfortunately, I can't give an account of the difference in ride quality, although with the information I had, I think my opinion might have been a little biased anyway.

I've read that one reason mowers arrive with elevated tire pressures all around is because it lessens the chances of damaging rims and such while the mower is tightly strapped down during transport. I can buy that, I suppose, and after all, this isn't so much a post about complaining as it is about getting information out. That said, if any of you are experiencing a ride on your new mower that's a little more bumpy than you expected, maybe your lawn's not to blame so much as the rubber bricks your axle might be strapped to. Food for though.

55TBird

Threads
Interesting. I didn't think about checking my tire pressure on my new mower. On my old mower the caster tires would come off the rim easily if I hit a stump or rock the wrong way. So annoying! I like the flat-free caster tires I have now. As for the ride, the seat suspension is wonderful and I feel much better than when my old mower would beat me to death. I have always noticed that less air in the rear tires would make them grip better. Too much air and they would turf the grass. I can't say I ever noticed that much of a difference in ride though....but like I said, the ride was so rough on my old mower it couldn't have been much worse.

I suppose I should check my drive tires based on what you said.

I just finished my second full mow with the Turf Tiger and set a new time record of 1.2 hours. It is such a pleasure to mow with this mower. When I got done I actually washed it. I've got it bad.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 18

Sweats

Threads
Interesting. I didn't think about checking my tire pressure on my new mower. On my old mower the caster tires would come off the rim easily if I hit a stump or rock the wrong way. So annoying! I like the flat-free caster tires I have now. As for the ride, the seat suspension is wonderful and I feel much better than when my old mower would beat me to death. I have always noticed that less air in the rear tires would make them grip better. Too much air and they would turf the grass. I can't say I ever noticed that much of a difference in ride though....but like I said, the ride was so rough on my old mower it couldn't have been much worse.

I suppose I should check my drive tires based on what you said.

I just finished my second full mow with the Turf Tiger and set a new time record of 1.2 hours. It is such a pleasure to mow with this mower. When I got done I actually washed it. I've got it bad.

I'm interested in hearing what you find, re: your check of your drive tire pressure. As far as the washing goes, I get it. Thunderstorms moved in just as I was finishing up my last mow. I'd been through some tall grass and some muddy spots and really wanted to wash it but I had to get inside. It's been lousy out since and all that junk has dried on the mower. I won't get to wash it until tomorrow. It's killing me!

DK35vince

Threads
I've owned 2 zero turns. A Hustler FasTrak and a Hustler Super Z.
I've always ran 8 PSI front and rear in the tires for a better ride.
No idea what the sidewall says for pressure (don't care really ) they get 8 PSI.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly if they were trucked loose then the tyres would have been blown up hard as they strap down & travel better if the tyres are solid
Next the dealers will oft have tyres hard in their showrooms cause it makes it easier for the staff to push them around and the paved floors.

Front casters are generally a lot harder so they steer sharper thus you need less differential input from the rear wheels.
Rear wheels are usually a lot softer so they grip and flatten out on the grass rather than dig ditches and leave deep wheel ruts.

There is almost no weight on the front casters again to allow for sharper steering so the front happily bounces up and down giving the driver a rough ride.
So it is up to you to find what suits your lawn ( and bum ) the best.
The only caveat is you do not exceed the max rim pressure & / or max tyre pressure as you can split rims or blow tyres.
Same as your car that pressure is cold .
And same as your car , if the mower is sitting one side into the hot sun, that side tyre pressure will go a lot higher due to the heat.

55TBird

Threads
I'm interested in hearing what you find, re: your check of your drive tire pressure. As far as the washing goes, I get it. Thunderstorms moved in just as I was finishing up my last mow. I'd been through some tall grass and some muddy spots and really wanted to wash it but I had to get inside. It's been lousy out since and all that junk has dried on the mower. I won't get to wash it until tomorrow. It's killing me!

I just checked and my drive tires were each 18 psi but are supposed to be 12.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
My front caster tires on all 5 of my ztrs are the semi solid tires. The rears average about 5 pounds of air. Dealers inflate tires to seat the beads and don't bother to bring the air pressures back down.