Long term small engine storage

turbofiat124

Threads
I don't know if I've asked this on this particular forum or not but if you had a generator or something and you wanted to store it indefinitely (until needed), what's the best method to make sure it's going to fire up when you need it?

I have two generators. Both have "Chonda" engines. Both have bolts on the side/bottom of the fuel bowel to drain the carburetors. I'm assuming this is to for long term storage.

Should I drain the fuel tanks and the fuel bowels? Is that better than leaving the tank and carburetors full of gasoline? I know eventually the carburetor is going to clog up and the gas is going to go bad from evaporation.

With the smaller generator, I drained the fuel tank and sprayed some fogging oil into the tank. And drained the fuel bowel. Is this a good idea? Should I place a piece of plastic wrap between the fuel tank and fuel cap to prevent moisture from entering the tank and rusting it? Or is the fogging oil good enough?

I've never had an engine actually "lock up" from sitting, even engines that have sat for 15 years as long as they are kept out of the weather. Just issues with carburetors on gravity feed fuel systems.

The other option is to convert the larger generator to propane so I can run it off my 500 gallon propane tank but the longest we have ever been without power is between 24 to 48 hours so I don't know if it's worth the trouble to go that route.