Dura Force?? The "force" ain't with me!

parkboy

Threads
I recently got a 2003 10247 Dura Force from a friend. It did not seem to have been used too much for a mower 14 years old and now I think I see why! I cleaned it up, cleaned out the carburetor and put the blade on right (it was upside down). It was hard to start, but with a little ether it ran like a house a fire. I put an inline fuel shutoff on it to keep the gas from leaking out when it was shut off. This is the first LB I ever saw that did not come equipped a fuel shutoff. It was still hard to start, so I disassembled the carb again to make sure the jets were fully cleaned out. After that, it would start up, but did not run right and flooded instantly. It would stall if the throttle was fully advanced. It seemed to be drowning in fuel. It even filled up that little U shaped gizmo (part # 981557) under the deck/muffler. The float tested good, so I put a in new needle and seat and it still floods out! This one has me perplexed and I have had enough Dura Force to do me for this life! Anybody got any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,
Parkboy

jp1961

Threads
Hi Parkboy,

Hmmmm. Only time I've had a Duraforce flooding issue, is when the needle / seat went bad (which does cause the transfer chamber to fill with gas).

the Lawn-Boy service manual lists these items to check. Air filter clogged, primer bulb defective, improper float / valve operation, incorrect float setting (should be 1/2" from the carb body without the gasket in place). Since you already replaced the needle and seat, I'd check the float height.

Is the outside of the carb clean? Should be a plastic slide, with a plastic pin (on the air cleaner housing not the carb) that engages and dis engages the choke butterfly. That working correctly? I'd clean the air filter housing too, an old toothbrush works great for this.

Primer line attached to the correct nipple (Don't laugh, I actually bought a 10323, where the previous owner had the primer line attached to the dummy nipple right next to the choke axle)?

The float also may have a leak in the epoxy coating,,,it may pay to replace it (only $8.03)

Regards

Jeff

lewb

Threads
I recently got a 2003 10247 Dura Force from a friend. It did not seem to have been used too much for a mower 14 years old and now I think I see why! I cleaned it up, cleaned out the carburetor and put the blade on right (it was upside down). It was hard to start, but with a little ether it ran like a house a fire. I put an inline fuel shutoff on it to keep the gas from leaking out when it was shut off. This is the first LB I ever saw that did not come equipped a fuel shutoff. It was still hard to start, so I disassembled the carb again to make sure the jets were fully cleaned out. After that, it would start up, but did not run right and flooded instantly. It would stall if the throttle was fully advanced. It seemed to be drowning in fuel. It even filled up that little U shaped gizmo (part # 981557) under the deck/muffler. The float tested good, so I put a in new needle and seat and it still floods out! This one has me perplexed and I have had enough Dura Force to do me for this life! Anybody got any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,
Parkboy

I would set the float height, I chased the same issue for awhile. I ended up taking carb off and remove float bowl screws so you can place bowl on and off easily. Turn carb upside down simulates carb full, blow into gas inlet, should not be able to get any air in, if you can, bend tab on float until you cannot get any air in, Turn right side up you should have very little restriction blowing into gas inlet. Or you can find the exact measurements in a service manual. I will bet this is your issue.

parkboy

Threads
I would set the float height, I chased the same issue for awhile. I ended up taking carb off and remove float bowl screws so you can place bowl on and off easily. Turn carb upside down simulates carb full, blow into gas inlet, should not be able to get any air in, if you can, bend tab on float until you cannot get any air in, Turn right side up you should have very little restriction blowing into gas inlet. Or you can find the exact measurements in a service manual. I will bet this is your issue.

Lewb and jp1961,

FINALLY got 'er goin' thanks to both of you for all of your help!!!!!!!

Park Boy

jp1961

Threads
You're welcome.

I've got a similar problem with my Toro/Suzuki 2 stroke. Gas leaks from the air cleaner box overnight. I replaced the needle 27.00!! OUCH, there isn't a replaceable needle seat (far as I can tell). The plastic float is not adjustable for float level. It does run extremely well, guess the only solution is to install a fuel shutoff. I also replaced the bowl gasket and bowl bolt gasket as well. It has the Mikuni carb.

Regards

Jeff

Last edited: