Hustler Raptor - Shearing Spline Shaft and Pulley

tekparasite

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, this is the 3rd time I have to fix a complete sheared spline shaft and pulley off. This is the blade by the discharge side.
Here's what my problem looks like
Capturem2.jpg

Any ideas why this would be happening? The parts involved here are: the assembly, a spacer, pulley and nut as such:
Capturem3.jpg

I have noticed that the nut is really hard to turn as it reaches the pulley due to the locking mechanism on the nut (the internal threads on the nut seem to be pressed)

The first time, I noticed there was a bit of axial play along the shaft which was the cause of such failure, so the second time I made sure there was no play, but it happen again.

Any ideas?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The spacer and the nut have to clamp the pulley tight.
There are several different spacers and nuts.
You might even need to put a washer on top of the pulley to get better clamping force.

It is designed to strip out ( safety feature if too much resistance & belt does not slip )
An over tight belt will make this worse as will cutting too much as the clippings put a big load on the right pulley, more so when mulching.

turboawd

Threads
it seems the nut is bottoming out before the pulley is tight. try adding another washer or two between nut and pulley.

tekparasite

Forum Newbie
Threads
The spacer and the nut have to clamp the pulley tight.
There are several different spacers and nuts.
You might even need to put a washer on top of the pulley to get better clamping force.

It is designed to strip out ( safety feature if too much resistance & belt does not slip )
An over tight belt will make this worse as will cutting too much as the clippings put a big load on the right pulley, more so when mulching.

it seems the nut is bottoming out before the pulley is tight. try adding another washer or two between nut and pulley.

Thank you for the feedback. I definitely plan on using a washer between the nut and the pulley to make sure the nut doesn't bottom prior to clamping the spacer and the pulley.