Hustler Raptor - Won't Go Straight

tekparasite

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Hustler Raptor 42" Deck with about 60 hrs. I have been having issues with the zero turn NOT going straight. With the handles pushed all the way forward, I can tell the left wheel goes faster, so the mower veers right.
Even when the handles are at a neutral position, the mower wants to turn right.

I have checked the settings on the Steering Control Lever to make sure both handles align.
Capturem1.PNG

I have checked the tire pressure to make sure they are equal in pressure but no luck.

Is there any way to adjust mechanically the speed of one side vs the other?
Is this related to something hydraulic?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a Hustler Raptor 42" Deck with about 60 hrs. I have been having issues with the zero turn NOT going straight. With the handles pushed all the way forward, I can tell the left wheel goes faster, so the mower veers right.
Even when the handles are at a neutral position, the mower wants to turn right.

I have checked the settings on the Steering Control Lever to make sure both handles align.
View attachment 31869

I have checked the tire pressure to make sure they are equal in pressure but no luck.

Is there any way to adjust mechanically the speed of one side vs the other?
Is this related to something hydraulic?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They all do that sir.
When I started doing mowers ZTR's were new and had complicated adjustments to get them to drive strait.
We were supposed to drive 30' full foreward then 30' full backwards and end up within 1' of where we started.
You could almost do this with the old 1 pump 2 motor systems
When they went over to the individual motor pump drives those instructions vanished as did the adjustments on the control levers at the drive.
SO you will just have to get used to it.

turboawd

Threads
first thing to check is the rear tire pressures are equal. one tire being low would rotate slower.
then there is a simple adjustment under the rear where each handle linkage connects to each transmission. very easy to adjust.

tekparasite

Forum Newbie
Threads
first thing to check is the rear tire pressures are equal. one tire being low would rotate slower.
then there is a simple adjustment under the rear where each handle linkage connects to each transmission. very easy to adjust.

Can you please elaborate on this adjustment?

turboawd

Threads
Can you please elaborate on this adjustment?

yes, but make sure both rear tires are inflated first. one tire low will cause mower to track sideways.
there is two seperate transmissions in the rear. each handle controls one transmission. the only thing the handle does is move the drive plate back and forth on the transmission.
you just need to loosen the two jam nuts(8) and move part 19 up or down the shaft a little bit. you shouldnt have to move it much at all. adjust it a little and then take for a spin to see if its good. may have to repeat a few times to get it right.

here is a diagram from a raptor sd 54" for reference.

BzYWypb.jpg

cEu91Ae.jpg

tekparasite

Forum Newbie
Threads
yes, but make sure both rear tires are inflated first. one tire low will cause mower to track sideways.
there is two seperate transmissions in the rear. each handle controls one transmission. the only thing the handle does is move the drive plate back and forth on the transmission.
you just need to loosen the two jam nuts(8) and move part 19 up or down the shaft a little bit. you shouldnt have to move it much at all. adjust it a little and then take for a spin to see if its good. may have to repeat a few times to get it right.

BzYWypb.jpg

cEu91Ae.jpg

Awesome!! Thanks for the detailed explanation. The mower is at our ranch, so hopefully I can make it there tomorrow and try these adjustments. Thanks again.

577jersey

Threads
Also if the ground is slightly unlevel the mower will veer to one side,with a ZTR you always have to be making steering inputs to keep them straight from my experience.

tekparasite

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also if the ground is slightly unlevel the mower will veer to one side,with a ZTR you always have to be making steering inputs to keep them straight from my experience.

My property is on top of a hill, so the ground is definitely not leveled when I mow. However, the misalignment between the two transmissions happens even when I'm in the garage where it's perfectly leveled and not even moving forward. When both handles are in neutral position the mower still wants to turn right.

577jersey

Threads
My property is on top of a hill, so the ground is definitely not leveled when I mow. However, the misalignment between the two transmissions happens even when I'm in the garage where it's perfectly leveled and not even moving forward. When both handles are in neutral position the mower still wants to turn right.
Yeah you have to adjust the left pump back a hair so the creeping stops.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

BzYWypb.jpg

cEu91Ae.jpg

The adjustments shown in this post are for the purpose of adjusting the neutral position of the levers and not the actual speed of either side.
Be very careful when moving them or you can end up with a mower that moves with lap bars in the stop position.