EFI Vanguard

hrdman2luv

Threads
I was just surfing the net this morning when I ran across this. Pretty awesome. And will probably change the industry (at least the mechanics of it).

VANGUARD™ 24-28 Gross HP EFI

Vanguard EFI engines feature an automotive-based, closed-loop system that offers significant fuel savings over a carbureted equivalent—and also outperforms competitive EFI engines. Thanks to the continuous feedback provided by the O2 sensor to the Electronic Control Module (ECM), Vanguard’s closed-loop EFI system offers greater efficiency, easier starting and higher productivity.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Briggs is just entering the market with EFI. something Kohler has been playing with for 15 years or so.

hrdman2luv

Threads
If they do it right, it could be a great thing. Carburetors can be a real pain. But so can 02 censors and injectors.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The EFI systems are more forgiving of fuel quality because they can self adjust. Also because some systems have a fuel return to tank it creates a mixing effect which alllows the water and other debris to be either captured in the filter or burned in small amount at a time.

The downside can be the complicated diagnostics that is required of these systems sometimes. My other worry is will lawnmowers go the way of JD with their software and you purchase a new mower but only have a license for the software preventing Joe homeowner from doing repairs without involving the dealer to authorize the repair in the computer.

hrdman2luv

Threads
You'd think there has to be some sort of ECM. And a way to plug in your laptop or smart phone, to help with diagnostics.
It shouldn't take long for those aftermarket ones to become available. Or at least the black market ones.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, I feel the frustration of diy auto and tractor operatorrs who are held slave to NO SHOP MANUALS any more, Instead, mgrs. may hide all their data and procedures for ransome. One approach is to offer "all you can eat" by the hourly rate from their software library. They withhold publication of paper manuals for 15 years, forcing all but the stubborn or inquisitive to buy in. Software subscription is prohibitively expensive for most but the pro shop. This has apparently caught on throughout the industry. The alternative for auto people is to frequent the enthusiast forums for bits of data.

I agree it would be a shame if lawnmower and tractor mfgrs do the same. For a while a diyer could access fault codes via the "blink" system by simply grounding a couple dash mounted pins or turning a little "screw" on the ECM, itself. Fault codes will not necessarily quickly solve an identified problem, but they point which is something lacking on carbureted engines. A little practice with a DVM (digital volt meter) and many would find the EFI troubleshooting even enjoyable. I would be interested to hear from owners/operators if the "blink" system is still offered. :thumbsup:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You'd think there has to be some sort of ECM. And a way to plug in your laptop or smart phone, to help with diagnostics.
It shouldn't take long for those aftermarket ones to become available. Or at least the black market ones.

The software for most companies is free. They just make you pay an outrages cost for the cable. And every company has a different cable, and they are all none OBD 2 systems. And some of the engine companies software also uploads the engine information to the manufacturers database.

JD is treating the black market software as a breach of contract because the people that buy that equipment sign a contract that basically says they are not allowed to modify or access the JD software.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All new fuel powered tools will be EFI in time,.
This is due to EPA regulations that can not be meet by carburettored engines, exactly the same as the auto industry, then motorcycles & snowmobiles .
There are actual tools that my suppliers are not allowed to sell me because I am not a new equipment seller and do not have a certificate from the OEM tech school.
The EPA regards control softwear in the same mannar.
If it can be used to change the emmissions of the engine then only the educated few can be allowed to touch them.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The cable outrage reminds me of the home printer ink cluster fink. I do see a hard core of auto fanatics, also computer savvy, who make their own cables once the connectors are identified. And there is a large after market of fueling/timing/command equipment to modify factory engine control systems. But they seem to be a small, hard core bunch, frequently working with engine transplants and making one model car wiring work with a different powertrain. Mostly they seem to end up with "check engine" light problems and having to dodge local emission control checks unless the cars are antiques (20 plus years old).

Further for curious readers a software subscription for an upscale auto shop is $5000 plus equipment. I think the hourly rent for factory software runs at least $15. Corrections please , because my information is dated and not complete.

Since some efi software for the tractors is available and ?cheap? it would be interesting to know best models and years to purchase used for the home based diyer., No? :smile:

edit, And...do violators fear the JD police like we all fear the "mattress tag" enforcers?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The EPA, Politicians, and those Bass-Turdly lawyers have all but destroyed this country..we can only
hope ... that through what COMMON SENSE is left ... we will survive their onslaught.