18hp Kawasaki

nodlenor

Threads
My JD with a 18 hp Kawasaki had a valve stick and popped the guide out, at least that is what the repair person told me. Is this a common problem with this engine? This is the first Kawasaki engine I have owned and I don't know much about their habits. It has a little over 800 hours on it and I bought it used about a year ago.

Glyn Robinson

Threads
not a common problem. first thing i would ask would be how dirty was the top of the engine? dirt accumulates on top preventing the proper cooling of the engine from the fan on top.

nodlenor

Threads
Thanks, Glyn. I'll check about that and if that was what happened I'll make sure to keep it clean.

nodlenor

Threads
According to my repair person the engine has been too hot. He thought he could reinsert the guide after knurling it but found the guide had been hot enough that it cracked so the head will have to be replaced (ouch). Total cost estimated at around $600, which includes new spark plugs and oil & filter change and labor.

Glyn Robinson

Threads
that's what i figured. sorry for the tough break. from now on, be sure to take the top shroud off the engine at least once a year and blow out with air hose.

nodlenor

Threads
Got my mower back yesterday, runs great! According to the guy that repaired it dirt wasn't the problem. He thinks I used the wrong oil in it. I admit I put a cheap brand of 30 weight oil in it. He put Kawasaki 10w40 in it and said it had some additives in it that were recommended and the oil I used didn't have it. I guess we'll see what happens. The oil I was using I've used in my Yard Man with a Briggs for several years with no problems.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Kawasaki 10w-40 is a synthetic blend as well. And only costs me $5. qt at my dealers. Lots use auto oils that don't have certain additives for air cooled engines. I'll stick with what was intended to be run in my Air-Cooled Kawasaki.

PS: I pull off the engine cover at end of each year, just to be sure my engine & fins are clean as new. It's actually a very quick procedure.