Looking to buy...how important is a local dealer?

tx82

Forum Newbie
Threads
All, live in texas, and have a 3 acre property to take care of. I'd love to get a Gravely but the closest dealer is ~5 hours away. Local to me, besides the box stores, is Exmark.

Would this deter you from getting a Gravely?

Thanks!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Personally I think having a good local dealer for your equipment should be your primary consideration. It was the main reason I just bought a Bob-Cat mower even though I'm a die-hard Exmark fan.

55TBird

Threads
I think having a local dealer is pretty darn important. I'm a homeowner that cuts a only a few acres once a week and I know that with any machine, s#%*! happens. At times I've ordered parts online and fixed what I could myself, but there is nothing like running 10 minutes down the road to get a part right when you need it. But parts are one thing, service is another. Unless you are a mechanic, you will occasionally need to haul it in and 5 hours away would be some serious butt pain.

You might ask the Exmark dealer if they would service a gravely.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I say get what you want. Unless you plan to spending a lot of time at the dealer. You can buy your OEM parts for any repairs off the internet cheaper then you can buy them from the dealer. Dealers come and go.

tx82

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks all for the feedback. I guess, more than anything, I didnt know what annual maintenance really consisted of.

My fear is that the one Exmark dealer, switches to another brand, and I'm back at square one. The joys (not really) of living in west Texas.

tx82

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think having a local dealer is pretty darn important. I'm a homeowner that cuts a only a few acres once a week and I know that with any machine, s#%*! happens. At times I've ordered parts online and fixed what I could myself, but there is nothing like running 10 minutes down the road to get a part right when you need it. But parts are one thing, service is another. Unless you are a mechanic, you will occasionally need to haul it in and 5 hours away would be some serious butt pain.

You might ask the Exmark dealer if they would service a gravely.

I asked, it was an astounding no.