Snapper RER axel endplay

cashman

Threads
I'll start a thread and please give me a few days and I'll make some pics of my old Snapper and I'll show you how to get the axel endplay out of your old Snapper. If you have an old Snapper, grab the rear bumpers and rock the rear of the mower between the rear wheels. If the rear of the mower has more than 1/8" play between the rear wheels, It needs a little attention. That excessive play is wearing your axel gears down. Usually all you need to remedy that is about 3 or 4 nylon thrust washers #7011071YP, a flat screwdriver and a pair of scissors.. Do this and you will hopefully increase the life of your old Snapper and it will thank you for it.

mattm55

Threads
That's great as this is a common issue for RER's. On my rebuild I made an aluminum spacer due to excessive play but not everyone has access to a lathe. The spacer took up the play leaving me a few of the nylon spacers to insert as it wears. This thread should prove helpful to others.

DSCN2779.jpg

Thanks, Matt

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
That's great as this is a common issue for RER's. On my rebuild I made an aluminum spacer due to excessive play but not everyone has access to a lathe. The spacer took up the play leaving me a few of the nylon spacers to insert as it wears. This thread should prove helpful to others.

View attachment 31919

Thanks, Matt

Hey there Matt, .. Guessin you n cashman are the "official RER gurus " ...( LOL ) ...:thumbsup:

cashman

Threads
Back in the day when we sold Snapper, when we set up new mowers we always checked the end play. You'd be surprised at how many new mowers out of the crate would have excessive end play. As far as the old RER's go, seen more than I really ever wanted to see happen to them. I go back to the "R" series. I've never dealt with the newer square frame or front engine models as I had left the family business and went to work for a distributor selling Yazoo and Kohler in AL and TN right before they came out. Wanted to take some pic's this past weekend but we had some really bad storms and heavy rain in our area and didn't get to it.

mattm55

Threads
Hey there Matt, .. Guessin you n cashman are the "official RER gurus " ...( LOL ) ...:thumbsup:

Haa. Not me. I only have the one that was given to me as a test subject but I did go through every single part. So if you want to say I'm an expert on a 1985 Snapper RER 28" w/Briggs converted to a Honda then sure. The Snapper is one of the best bagging mowers (non-commercial) I've seen.

I was going to do a lawnmower business after high school but went into a automotive machine shop instead for a little while and have been a software programmer for 28 years for a large computer company. I really like the machining part and the tools I purchased & modded helped immensely. I did race 4 cycle Open go karts w/Briggs and then Honda so that is why I'm a fan of Honda over Briggs. Nothing wrong with Briggs, just took a lot more to make run and longevity was an issue.

I'll gladly put my $0.02 in where I can to hopefully help. Never profess to be an expert.

Matt :laughing: