Mower doesn't like new customer

hrdman2luv

Threads
I picked up a good 4500 craftsman the other day. A farely newer model. Not one with a PTO. It had a 20hp OHV Briggs on it. Just a few minor things wrong with it. Valve adjustment, new fuel lines and filter. It ran great. After the valve adjustment, it started and ran great.
I sold it to a guy. He came and pick it up. It started fine when he got here. Said it started fine when he unloaded it. Later that afternoon, he called and said it wouldn't do anything, when he turned the key. So, the next morning, I drove all the way out there, (20 miles away). Got on it, and it fired right up.
I told him he'd just have to get used to certain things. I sort of figured that maybe he didn't have the clutch pressed all the way or something. Anyways, the next morning he called me and said it would turn over, but it would drag the battery down too fast for it to start.
Even though he knows there's no warranty on use mowers, he still wants me to drive all the way out there and fix it. And I'm not sure what it could be, because I've replaced the battery. Checked all the safety switches, adjusted the valves. And it worked great for me, every time.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I picked up a good 4500 craftsman the other day. A farely newer model. Not one with a PTO. It had a 20hp OHV Briggs on it. Just a few minor things wrong with it. Valve adjustment, new fuel lines and filter. It ran great. After the valve adjustment, it started and ran great.
I sold it to a guy. He came and pick it up. It started fine when he got here. Said it started fine when he unloaded it. Later that afternoon, he called and said it wouldn't do anything, when he turned the key. So, the next morning, I drove all the way out there, (20 miles away). Got on it, and it fired right up.
I told him he'd just have to get used to certain things. I sort of figured that maybe he didn't have the clutch pressed all the way or something. Anyways, the next morning he called me and said it would turn over, but it would drag the battery down too fast for it to start.
Even though he knows there's no warranty on use mowers, he still wants me to drive all the way out there and fix it. And I'm not sure what it could be, because I've replaced the battery. Checked all the safety switches, adjusted the valves. And it worked great for me, every time.

Check with Bertsmobile1 ..... He's one of the BEST in diagnostics and KNOWS .... what he's talkin about !! ..BOOBALA ...:biggrin:

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Sounds like the valves backed out of adjustment again. Some do it a lot. Fixed 1 this year to resale . The stud kept backing out. I buggered the threads a bit and used locktite so far I guess its still running.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
RDA sounds like he has it down.
Had a similar problem. Mower would not staart in the morning after being in a coldd shed all night.
4 hours latter when I got the fired strait up
next day same thing.
Ditto following day
Ended up being nothing more than valve lash and a worn grub screw

hrdman2luv

Threads
Sounds like the valves backed out of adjustment again. Some do it a lot. Fixed 1 this year to resale . The stud kept backing out. I buggered the threads a bit and used locktite so far I guess its still running.

So yesterday I get over there, and the battery is dead. I jump it, and it fires right up. I let it run for a few minutes, kill it. Restart it with no jumpers, and it starts just fine.
So, I leave. 20 minutes later, he calls me and says it doing the same thing. And wants me to turn around and come fix it. So I asked him if he's choking it. His exact words, "Yes, I'm pulling the choke all the way out." This choke is built into the throttle, so there's no in or out. It's up or down. So I asked him if he opening the choke after it starts. And he says he's is, that he pushes the choke in after it starts.
Sooooooo, I'm thinking he's not choking it right. I've showed the guy twice now how to start this thing. But the funny thing, he won't do it while I'm there. He wouldn't start it when he bought it. Wouldn't start it either time I've been out there.
The conversation ended with him threatening to sue me because I wouldn't buy it back from him.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
You've done your part . Its normally bought as is where is. Sounds like this guy isn't to smart. He could try to sue you but he won't get anywhere.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would have offered to buy it back for $50 since it was broken and not working.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would have offered to buy it back for $50 since it was broken and not working.

Chuck ..I LUUUuuvvvv how you have a way with word's !!! ( LOL )

hrdman2luv

Threads

So my new neighbors mower went down, and asked me if I had one for sale. So, I contacted the guy, and asked him if he still wanted me to buy it back from him, he said "No, I finally figured out the choke thing. It's running and mowing great now".....

And I'm thinking, the last time we talked, you called me a crook, a liar and threatened to sue me. HA HA HA HA