Flooding Carburetor

japee

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried getting some help the "my tractor forum" but no one came to my rescue. So I was browsing google looking for some answers and found this Site. I have a Tecumseh V-Twin VTV691 I believe its a 2000 WITH twin carburetors 640221's. No problem starting but when i increase the gas the carb on the right side facing the engine squirts gas up through the main vent tube and it starts loading up real bad. If I throttle back it will go back to idling okay, but as soon as I increase the gas it starts to load up and I see the gas squirting up thru the tube. I replaced the other carburetor already. I have cleaned the carb and vent tube extensively and no change. Can you tell me what causes this problem. Thank you and have a great day.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
At higher rpm's there may be increased fuel pressure by the fuel pump.. That added pressure is overriding the float and causing overflowing of the carb. If this is the plastic bowl type carbs, just get a bowl kit and replace it.

japee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you ILENGINE for your quick reply. You are most likely correct in suggesting replacing the bowl. I had a bowl from another carburetor and tried it out on the carburetor that I replaced. That's why I replaced the carburetor because the bowl that I tried seem to work fine but I couldn't use it because the input nozzle was pointing the wrong direction. So I purchased the complete carburetor. And everything seem to work fine then wham the other one went out and that's where I am now. So rather than paying 20 or more dollars for the bowl I think I'll just replace the complete carburetor. But you can bet if they at some later date start acting up I will purchase bowls for them. Thank you so much for your suggestion I didn't know that could happen but, it makes perfect sense. I like this Forum, and I'll let you know if the new carb does the trick. Thank you again and have a Blessed evening.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
have you resyncronized the carbs. On the Tecumseh twin carb engine removing the carbs requires adjustments to both the choke and throttle controls to make sure they open and close at the same time. Back when we were still doing the Tecumseh schools, it was suggested not to remove the carbs unless absolutely necessary. if they needed to be removed it was better to remove the entire intake manifold, and work on them that way.

japee

Forum Newbie
Threads
I synchronized the carbs when I replaced the first one. When I get the new one I will have to do it again. Its a real tedious operations. Thanks for the reminder.

japee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I received my new Carb 01 May 17 and installed it 02 May 17. I still could see gas squirting up thru the main vent tube but it was not excessive, so I took it for a spin and it ran good bot all of a sudden it quit. After trouble shooting it for a bit I found something unusual. On the other new Carb I found a wire and terminal lug that was missing from the solenoid. I had noticed there was no gas squirting thru the vent tube, I thought that was normal and the other (old) carb was at fault, however come to find out that it wasn't and I guess trying to run full steam on one carb it would just load up. That's my theory. I replaced the solenoid because the lug on it had burned completely down in the body. Don't know what could have caused that unless the coil shorted, again my theory. But, at any rate the $70.00 I spent for the carb was worth it to me. I cut some grass today and it's still running fine. Praise God and thank you for your help.

Last edited: