Is Raptor SD overkill for homeowner with 1 acre?

Top98Percent

Threads
I've narrowed my choice to Hustler, now just have to choose which one.

I have 1 acre mowable, small incline in front yard (6' over 120'), flat the rest. A few trees, a shed and a pool to maneuver around.

Currently retiring a 42" lawn tractor, so anything is an improvement.

It seems to me the Raptor would be sufficient for my yard. I could swing the extra $$ for the SD, but not sure if it's really needed.

Reading through the posts, has me a little leary of the deck bolt issues on the Raptor.

Anyone have any experiences with a similar (or bigger) yard and the Raptor?

Thanks

T98

michigan_Rapter sd

Threads
I've narrowed my choice to Hustler, now just have to choose which one.

I have 1 acre mowable, small incline in front yard (6' over 120'), flat the rest. A few trees, a shed and a pool to maneuver around.

Currently retiring a 42" lawn tractor, so anything is an improvement.

It seems to me the Raptor would be sufficient for my yard. I could swing the extra $$ for the SD, but not sure if it's really needed.

Reading through the posts, has me a little leary of the deck bolt issues on the Raptor.

Anyone have any experiences with a similar (or bigger) yard and the Raptor?

Thanks

T98
I have a similar yard and went with the rapter sd last year and love it - no regrets and after having a cub ztr it is a huge step up with much heavier parts and blades have about twice the mass. would do the same thing again in a heartbeat

Bigmks

Threads
I went the same decision and ended up buying the raptor sd. I figure the servicable transmission and the few added construction of the raptor sd made it stood out more. I have no regrets on making the purchase on the raptor sd. If you saw them side by side you could tell a major difference. Either way I believe it's an upgrade from a regular riding mower!

L454S

Threads
Same here, 1 acre lot and got the 54in SD 3 years ago. No regrets..........

kraky

Threads
I have 3/4 acre and went from the raptor SD to the fastrac last year....everything about it is an upgrade and I giggle every time I mow. Now I help neighbors whenever they need it.....or....are they helping me!?

Top98Percent

Threads
Thanks for the input. I guess I'm just trying to justify the extra $1k to go to the SD... and if I go that far, why not $1400 to the SDX :confused2:

577jersey

Threads
If you get an SD for the one lawn it will last you a lifetime no doubt...you will have minor issues that arise.

The fast trak is way over priced for what you get IMO.

I would also recommend a Ariens Ikon X if you want to spend around $3k..you wont beat that mower for the price!!!

Have a fun blessed season!!

Tom

kraky

Threads
Oh...let me count the ways the fastrac is nicer than the raptor sd.
1. with the rebate they are $1500 more.
2. You get a machine that has 25% more beef.
3. Kawasaki vs Kohler 7000
4. A much stronger deck lift.
5. A better discharging deck that cuts cleaner and stripes better, stays cleaner.
6. Another yr warranty.
7. Better much smoother/accurate hydro.
8. Better traction with less scuffing and slipping.
9. Quieter by far muffler.
10. Deck lift assist that also helps the deck float better.
11...deck accepts and works great with optional catcher basket.
12..more seat travel for bigger guys.
13..rollover protection.
14. Bigger fuel tank with gauge.
Not saying the raptor sd is junk..... but if you spend some time on both of them you'll know the difference real fast. I wasn't sure I deserved to go up to the fast-track I almost got another SD but I am thrilled that I did. And I'm not saying it's the most awesome $5,500 mower out there but in our area for the dealers we have.... it pretty much is for me.

577jersey

Threads
Oh...let me count the ways the fastrac is nicer than the raptor sd.
1. with the rebate they are $1500 more.
2. You get a machine that has 25% more beef.
3. Kawasaki vs Kohler 7000
4. A much stronger deck lift.
5. A better discharging deck that cuts cleaner and stripes better, stays cleaner.
6. Another yr warranty.
7. Better much smoother/accurate hydro.
8. Better traction with less scuffing and slipping.
9. Quieter by far muffler.
10. Deck lift assist that also helps the deck float better.
11...deck accepts and works great with optional catcher basket.
12..more seat travel for bigger guys.
13..rollover protection.
14. Bigger fuel tank with gauge.
Not saying the raptor sd is junk..... but if you spend some time on both of them you'll know the difference real fast. I wasn't sure I deserved to go up to the fast-track I almost got another SD but I am thrilled that I did. And I'm not saying it's the most awesome $5,500 mower out there but in our area for the dealers we have.... it pretty much is for me.
Thats cool,Im just going on what i read,I was going to go with the bobcat crz next but i think i may go for the scag liberty z,if thats not in production Ill go with another sd.
I run my SD very hard every day,got 150+hours and only thing that went wrong was a idler spring snapped at 56 hours..also the anti scalp wheel brackets keep bending from turning into tree roots..Im gonna try to beef them up some with angle soon.

Top98Percent

Threads
Maybe if I had a bigger budget, but this time around I have to keep it in check. I'll see if I can find an Ikon X around to look at. Same price as the Raptor. What's better about it?