Is Raptor SD overkill for homeowner with 1 acre?

kraky

Threads
I agree on the ikon.....the operator station looks roomier than the raptor....the deck depth stop idea is very nice...and most importantly the deck looks like it will discharge much more openly.

577jersey

Threads
The Ikon X has a better deck with a bigger chute opening,the deck lift system is alot stronger as well.The cut quality is better IMO too.
Home depot carries them,last one i saw had a pro series briggs cyclonic engine on it and was sold for $2700.I hear nothing but good about those engines.

kraky

Threads
I almost bought an ikon instead of my first raptor SD but my local dealer did not stock one. Then a super-low hour SD showed up on Craigslist and I was already in love with the big tires on there because I have a pretty wet lawn in one area.... and I liked the Kawasaki engine. I overcame the discharge problem with high lift blades and after that I was kind of a hustler fan.

577jersey

Threads
Yeah i hear ya,I think it was the big tires that helped sell me too..lol..i love mine,the deck sounds a bit like a garbage can cause its on the thin side but the machine is so light i dont tear anything up with it at all.
After 5 years Ill get a new machine,just not sure what yet,am really looking at the scag liberty z or maybe just another SD or SDX,well see how mine holds up first.

I have a video here of an ikon x i walk around it real quick,maybe you can get an idea.

Top98Percent

Threads
Thanks 577. Nice video. I never run across sales like that. No HD's in my area stock it. The Raptor deck opening is small compared to other mowers. Saw a Husqvarna that had a huge opening. It was a stamped deck too. Although, for me a stamped deck shouldn't be an issue. I've been using a 12 ga. stamped deck for the last 17 yrs and it's still in great shape. The joys of over analyzing a purchase. lol

577jersey

Threads
Hahaha,,yeah..my buddy had a Husqvarna a couple years back a liked it.

The stamped deck is fine,we ran stamped decks for years back in 80s when first started doing lawn care.

IMO i think some of those stamped decks cut and stripe better than the fabbys :)

Good luck and have a blessed season bro.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Live on a little over an acre with trees and backyard shed, like you I also retired my old Montgomery Wards Yardman 42" riding mower that I had since 1996 and went ahead an purchased a Hustler Raptor 54" mower and have had it now for about 10 months and so far have been satisfied with my purchase.

I think it's justified, money $ wise, on getting a mower with a larger cutting deck. The only real problem is which one (brand/model/style).

577jersey

Threads
I like my RSD so much Ill probably get another one in a few years..its so light and nimble,low center of gravity,with plenty of power from the FR691,after a few mods its the best mower i ever had,and i had alot of mowers!
Last year i was thinking to get a CRZ,then maybe a scag liberty but Im 100% satisfied with the RSD.160 hours and counting.

Top98Percent

Threads
Had to buy it before I ended up looking at the Fastrak's. SDX on the way :drink:

Thanks for all the feedback.

kraky

Threads
Good for you tell us what you think after you mowed a time or two..... I'm trying to talk my brother-in-law into one of those!