Walk behind Newbie Hydrostatic drive question (HRX217)

Slappy_G

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys... did my first mow with my new HRX217 last night, and WOW - I really like how smooth the transmission is. I particularly enjoyed feathering the drive speed by easing up on the drive handlebar as I got close to obstacles, etc.

My question is this - I haven't seen a firm statement anywhere in the searches I've done that indicate if partial throttle puts a greater load on the transmission, or causes more wear. In other words, if I am using the drive handlebar at partial positions for more than a few seconds at a time, is that a bad practice?

I'm probably being overcautious here, but after spending nearly $800 on a mower, I'm trying to baby it a bit.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Full throttle when mowing puts less stress on engine & transmission.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey guys... did my first mow with my new HRX217 last night, and WOW - I really like how smooth the transmission is. I particularly enjoyed feathering the drive speed by easing up on the drive handlebar as I got close to obstacles, etc.

My question is this - I haven't seen a firm statement anywhere in the searches I've done that indicate if partial throttle puts a greater load on the transmission, or causes more wear. In other words, if I am using the drive handlebar at partial positions for more than a few seconds at a time, is that a bad practice?

I'm probably being overcautious here, but after spending nearly $800 on a mower, I'm trying to baby it a bit.

ALWAYS mow with the throttle at FAST (wide open), because the blades need to spin as fast as possible to make a clean cut and superior finish.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

I think you could say most here are the same "apprehensive" way ...keep us up-dated ,Please !!